Help Me Choose A Canister Filter

Okotoks

Fluval has marjetting startegy.... but when product is sold more then can be demanded... quality come down... hope thatwill give you some idea.... I have fluval... its been working good... I also have eheim classic and xp3.... I don't see problems in them.... just have to keep in mind when u have to clean them... which is easy to do so.

:D a noble endeavor! Good for you for asking :D

I asked (myself) the same question a few years ago. The opinions I found here were a good cross-section of the opinions I found, generally, everywhere else. Frustrating because it was impossible for me to pick a single canister that nobody had a complaint against. It was so blinkin' discouraging!

But I did learn that 1) people have their faves in spite of the complaints, and 2) some "canister failures" happen because of operator error or simple ignorance (which some hobbyists will rarely admit, and are likely never to repeat). ^_^

So I resolved to pick the manufacturer I already favored, and all the potential problems that accompany their good name. To date, I haven't encountered a single one.....

Maybe since you've been on in Jun, you settled on one by now. I hope you let us know what you decided.

Edited by Fisher

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have used Renas historically, and I have loved them. I have one XP2 that has seen well over 6 years of service now, no issues whatsoever. I have heard that the XP4s struggle, but I think you would do great with an XP3.

I just acquired an Ehiem 2080 Pro3 for my 120 gallon, haven't started using it yet, but let me tell you, there is room for a TON of media! And it is in baskets, not a problem. The big problem with the Eheims is the price. I was lucky and got the filter and media half price (still $420).

I have had no experience with Fluvals as of yet, but I hear good things.

My first canister was an Eheim Ecco. Can't remember the model but I really didn't like it. I purchased an Fx5 next, still have it and love it except for when I have to break my back to move it for maintenance. That really is a minor complaint because it has been a champ filtration wise.

I tried out a Marineland c360 next, didn't like it's performance and when it came to cleaning time the trays were fitting so tight inside that handles on the inside broke fairly quickly. I also picked up a used G6 around the same time. Priming it was absolute hell which probably caused me to close my mind on it quickly. I didn't think it's filtration capabilities stacked up very well over about a 3 month period and I quickly took it out of service.

Next I moved to the Rena XP4. Easiest to maintain, good filtration, lots of trays for options. I had two of them as Rena Xp4 and love them and now it's like API XL or something like that and I find the quality of the product has dipped. the clips on the side are very loose fitting, they changed the outlets, there is less hardware that come with them and the top o ring provided is cheap and falls out every time I go to maintain the filter. Sure it is nit picky stuff but the XP4s for me didnt have any of these issues.

The guy at Aquatium Central convinced me to come back and try out Eheim again as I had a bad taste in my mouth from owning the Ecco a few years back. Bought the 2075 model I think. It has all the media provided and has easy to use trays in it as well. I am very pleased that he convinced me to try out this Eheim because it is also a champ like the FX5 and easier to pack around. Sure the $299 price tag looks scary to most off the hop but it has all the media that you need in the box and is simple enough to have setup and primed and going. There were some micro bubbles off the first start for about a day but that was probably my fault to start.

The FX5 is on a 90g alone and is always crystal clear, scratch that ther is a sponge filter on there recently for an experiment/leeching. I have an XP4 and Eheim 2075 on the 120g. XP4 on 90G, XP4 on 65G, Emperor 400 and Sponge on the other 90G. My 20g long has two sponges on it as well.

For me it's all been experimentation but after this long winded response I would vouch for the old Rena XP4, Fluval FX5 and Eheim 2075. I am learning to appreciate sponge filters as well and will probably fit them into all my tanks if I can hide them.

Before you buy Ehiem, I would strongly suggest checking how available replacement media and parts are in your area. I have a Pro 1200 xl since spring and still have no Ehiem media, used Fluval media and then the ceramic shaft that holds the impeller broke and the impeller got chewed up over a month ago and I am still waiting for replacement parts. I don't mean to sound negative, but rather just to let you know what my experience was.

Ive used my share of canisters over the years. Ive used the old school fluvals and eheims and the new fancy ones lol. Out of all the canisters ive used in terms of performance/ price etc. Id have to go with the marineland c series which IMO is the only thing marineland ever did right.

'Edit'

- IME owning 2 c-360 and one 560 I only had one issue, the priming button stuck once which didnt effect the preformance but it was inconvenient.

I found the parts to be really solid and many stors carried parts for it (gaskets, hose, etc.) I loved that the trays fit so snug because you knew this would allow less bypass, it did make it kind of tricky to get the trays in just right but the results were worth it. It has a nice quick release that allows the hoses to disconnect and remain closed until cleaning is done which is really nice. Good solid budget filter imo.

Another one I really like is one I'm using on our new 60g the eheim ecco series. Super quiet easy to use trays all click together. One thing I don't like is there is some bypass. Thats the thing I loved about marineland c series little or no bypass what so ever.

One thing I'm noticing with the eheim ecco is its silent- like dead silent. And seems to filter pretty good but I don't think its doing as good of a job as our old eheim classic. Its fairly compact which is nice especially if you're like me and keep everything tucked under the stand. A con would be that at 36" head height it seems to lose a bit of power (gph) where as my marinelands and classic didn't.

I never liked the fluvals, I mean they did the job well enough but imo for the price you pay you can do just as well cheaper. Look into the Hydor inline heaters ive ran a few types but so far hydor (surprisingly) has been the most reliable.

Phew.. k thats all

Edited by khobbs