Melanotaenia Parva

Rainbowric

A number of Melanotaenia parva has been showing up recently and I just realized that I have not done a thread on them yet.

Melanotaenia parva has been around in the hobby now for close to a decade now but is considered a rare Rainbowfish. It is nicknamed the Sunshine Rainbowfish and is classified as a dwarf Rainbowfish. It should not exceed much more then 3 inches in lenght. Even though small it does look after itself in a community tank of larger 4 inch plus bows. Yet it will go nicely with the little blue-eyed species of Rainbowfish like the P. furcatus.

Recently it became more popular as it was listed on the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program as a ... Species facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future. A number of clubs in Eastern Canada is taking this program quite seriously and I have had a number of calls from the eastern Canada looking for some.

AA member geleen has been breeding them and possibly AA member Jayba in the near future! I just finished breeding a bunch of 36 and shipped them to Eastern Canada with a fellow hobbiest from the Durham Aquarium Society.

This fish is extremely photogenic! :) The pictures that I am posting here was done with my old camera, wish I had some with my new camera to post but hopefully Jayba will post some pics of his as they get a little older, in this thread.

Melanotaenia parva

M_parva_a_zpsc5b250b6.jpg

You would almost think that this fish is a salt water fish. Certainly sticks out in a tank when it is displaying. The female which has quite less color, however if you don't have one of these girls in the tank chances are you will never see the beautiful colors that this fish displays for his girl.

M_parva_b_zps283fbaed.jpg

For information about the C.A.R.E. Preservation Program follow this link ..... C.A.R.E.S link.

Even though I will not be breeding this species for some time I believe we will see more of this colorful dwarf Rainbowfish around!

M_parva_c_zps2dceddd5.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed these pics ....

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!