Palaemonetes Babies!

octopusfilled

A day or two ago, I was peeking into "the shared tank" (it's a shrimp-only aquarium, situated at the boy's house.) wondering why none of the ghost shrimp had hatched out any babies. We had a few deaths after the initial purchase, tried and failed (miserably, I might add) to artificially hatch them using this method. In hindsight, we may have been a little impatient.

Anyway, in the middle of whining over the possibility of the atyopsis moluccensis having a live snack, I spotted it. A little thing. A baby! Then another, and another! Three babies.. Hovering, floating, swimming? They almost looked like they were tethered to the plants, the way they move with the current. It was magical and ridiculously thrilling! Squealing with the most ultimate of stokedness, the boy and I fist-fived* and congratulated each other on being parents (of sorts).

You can imagine how pleased my mother was when she was informed of her grandparent status.

Too excited, forgot to take pictures, will get photographic to the max this evening.

TL;DR --> Ghost shrimp had wee ones. Every day we see more of them, and another lady-shrimp is looking about ready to drop any day now. We feed them artemia food and baby brine shrimp.

..Hopefully I haven't broken any rules by posting this here!

*fist-fiving/high-fisting is a collision of one open palm, and one closed fist. It happens when two extremely uncoordinated people try to give each other "props". Causes include, but are not limited to excessive excitement and unplanned celebrations.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure I've done the right thing or set myself up for disaster. Two night ago I noticed the one female ghost shrimp that was carrying babies had eye spots on the eggs. From what I've read this was sure indication they were nearing maturity and would be dropped in next three days.

Then something weird happened she swam to top of tank and crawled onto a cabomba floating in tank. Instinctively grabbed a net and moved her into tank I've been setting up to try my hand at some Neo's.

Well tonight I got home and she's released most of the eggs. All I can see is what looks like little gel droplets on the one glass that seem to wave with the current.

Now what? Was going to wait til she's dropped them all and move her back to the community tetera tank. But have I doomed any hopes of raising Neo's in that tank now? That being said I still plan to pick up the Neo's next week as not available out here in the Styx and not sure when I'd get to calgary again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...