?? Yellow Shrimp

Flora:
Utricularia Graminifolia

Equipment:
Tank: ADA Cube Garden 60-P 60X30X36
Light: Finnex Ray 2 DS Dual 7000K 24"
CO2: None
Filter: Eheim 2217

Keeping it real simple this time around. Planted on April 21st, 2013, this is my single planted species, UG, Utricularia Graminifolia, 60-P tank. Photo period is 4 hours and 30 minutes a day with no CO2 injection or fertilizers. Currently only 16 Harlequin rasboras swimming around but I want a school of pgymy cories in the near future.

Day 1 (April 21, 2013) Please excuse my bad shots.....really bad shots...

9346533467_83827fc89c_z.jpg

Day 33 (May 23, 2013)

9349289766_86047ce5de_z.jpg

I am always looking for feedback and any constructive criticisms.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by meeiu

I really like it! I think my eye wants somethin growing to the top behind the largest rock. I know that sounds a bit weird bc that side is already built up higher than the other side, but I think the imbalance needs accentuated - nothing big, tho. Maybe a single Val or a few stems - just something simple to reach (and maybe a bit more) the surface.

That's totally just a spit-ball suggestion - a gut thing. Take the hardware out for some more FTSs! :D

I really like it! I think my eye wants somethin growing to the top behind the largest rock. I know that sounds a bit weird bc that side is already built up higher than the other side, but I think the imbalance needs accentuated - nothing big, tho. Maybe a single Val or a few stems - just something simple to reach (and maybe a bit more) the surface.

That's totally just a spit-ball suggestion - a gut thing. Take the hardware out for some more FTSs! :D

Thank you for the suggestion! I have had that thought before but did not do it just because I wanted to keep it a one species tank. But I completely agree with you, some height on the right side would help.. haha

Looks great to me! It seems very serene.

Thank you!

Is it just the lighting? or is your hairgrass a bit on the yellow side?

Oh Caine............. haha just kidding

It is actually a bit of both. If you take a look at it in person, it's a little more on the greenish side but still not as green as I would like it. Also, during the time of photography, I used a bit too much light. The Finnex light fixture also gives a different color than my Sunblasters T5s.

So when do I get to see your tank in real life? HAHA

I didn't realize you switch to a Finnex. How do you like it? Sunblasters 6400k are heavy on the green spectrum and make plants look really nice, but the green doesn't actually help them grow much :P Oh. I just read the post... not hair grass. How long does that Utricularia Graminifolia grow? Could you just let it get longer in that corner?

My tank? Ugh. My tank is a mess right now. The HC was over grown and I'm having to trim aggressively to get it to grow back low. This is going to take a few months. I'm also gradually removing the stem plants so that bio can adjust gradually. Going to go for the one species tank also. I'll probably need to add some substrate to fix the slopes too. So much more finicky than my saltwater cube!

You can swing by pretty much any time most evenings. I might even let you check out the top secret basement tanks. :o hahahaha.

Monday and Wednesday nights are best. If you are in the hood, send me a message :)

I didn't realize you switch to a Finnex. How do you like it? Sunblasters 6400k are heavy on the green spectrum and make plants look really nice, but the green doesn't actually help them grow much :P Oh. I just read the post... not hair grass. How long does that Utricularia Graminifolia grow? Could you just let it get longer in that corner?

My tank? Ugh. My tank is a mess right now. The HC was over grown and I'm having to trim aggressively to get it to grow back low. This is going to take a few months. I'm also gradually removing the stem plants so that bio can adjust gradually. Going to go for the one species tank also. I'll probably need to add some substrate to fix the slopes too. So much more finicky than my saltwater cube!

You can swing by pretty much any time most evenings. I might even let you check out the top secret basement tanks. :o hahahaha.

Monday and Wednesday nights are best. If you are in the hood, send me a message :)

I like the Finnex. Seems to grown them very well. It's very bright. However, as you mentioned, the coloring on the plants do not look as nice. UG can grow pretty long but that right corner of the tank just won't green up as nicely as the other side. It always seems to stay a bit yellow'er than the other side. I wonder why :(

Oh I can swing by? MWHAHAHA I might just take you up on that offer... haha

BTW.... if you want pigmy corries... Tommy has a special for the Calgary group buy right now: $2.99ea or 10 for $25. I am getting overnight shipping which is getting split accordingly between all participants.

If you want in for that let me know before this Sunday (July 28).

Edited by cainechow

• 1 month later...

Just an update for you guys!

Here is the tank from last night (156 days, 09.23.13)

9915688715_d31e9d86d3_z.jpg

Still no pressurized CO2 but have been looking around for cylinders/regulators... however the UG is pearling A LOT even without the CO2. So makes me wonder if I should bother investing in CO2 equipment. The right side has bounced back and is way greener than before. Overall, I am fairly happy with the UG and it is spreading nicely. What do you guys think? :)

Edited by meeiu