Gimme The Rundown On Eheim Cannister Filters

DougAdel

I have been running an Aquaclear 300 (70) on my 30g tank for over a year now. The filter was used when I got it and has always had a few issues. Long story short I am in need of a new filter and after doing some reading I've decided that the Eheim 2213 should be my next aquarium related purchase.

However all of this reading has come from online forums much like this one and some information is very vague or unjustified.

-Why do canister filters work better?

-If you've ever used one what are the cons of using this particular line of filter? Anything else better at approximately the same price point that I may not be aware of?

-Cleaning canister filters seems a lot more tedious than HOBs. Any tips or tricks to make the process a little simpler for me?

-I've read the online manual and the reports of the manual being useless seem to be justified. Tips for set up?

Any other info out there is appreciated.

Well, I have two Eheims....a 2217 and a 2215. As long as the come with the doubletaps (which they all seem to now anyways), then maintenance isn't that difficult. I also run a sponge on the intake, which limits the frequency of maintenance. They are quiet, yet powerful and efficient. Once you get them running the first time, they hold the siphon from that point on, and are easy to start and stop for cleaning. Canisters filters don't necessarily work 'better'. They work different. Each filter is specialized and serves a purpose. The canisters have a large surface area, and offer large volumes of media for nitrifying bacteria. HOBS are better at mechanical filtration in my opinion. I prefer canisters, they self prime after outages, keep the water safer and are quieter. The classic series seems to be the top filter for the price point. It doesn't have some bells and whistles like priming buttons etc...but it serves its purpose, and its affordable. I say grab it! Just make sure you run them both for awhile so you can seed the new filter.

Just recently changed out my fluval 405 for the 2217 been using it for a month no complaints so far much quieter than the fluval.I choose the classic because it is a proven design and should run for years without the maintenance ( replacement parts $$$$) and leak problems that happen with others.

Cleaning is a bit more involved but I use a sponge pre-filter over the intake which I rinse out during each WC so my canisters only get opened every three to four months all rinsed in a bucket of aquarium water just like you would an HOB.The classics do hold large amounts of media my 2217 held all of the 405 bio max and only filled it half way,so I use a small kitchen colander to help rinse it out.

Edited by flyfisher

Thanks for the info!

Another questions. If I am going to be investing more money in to this new filter would it be worth it to jump up to the Eheim Pro 2071? For an extra $50 or $60 it seems like I'm getting a better product. Increased water flow, stabilized media baskets and a primer. Worth it or just a bunch of extra bells and whistles?

No experience with the pro series I did look into them when I was looking for replacement canisters. It is a newer system that has had problems so I decided to pass until it builds up a reliability record.Media baskets are nice but I see no use for a priming button other than a place to break & develop a leak.

I run a pro 2075. In use for about a year now and I've had to buy a new impeller for 50 bucks (old one cracked inside the housing during a power brown-out) and a new hose mount piece (50 bucks again). New it was amazing and fantastic and sparkly ... Then it started building air pressure inside it whenever I did maintenance and tried to restart it. I've had to add a double tap (80 bucks) to the return line to allow air to get out thus keeping the siphon alive when re-starting the filter.

When its operational it does a fantastic job. I have a hard time filling it with media there's so much room, and it flows very well. When it needs something my wallet screams like a little girl.

Thanks for the info!

Another questions. If I am going to be investing more money in to this new filter would it be worth it to jump up to the Eheim Pro 2071? For an extra $50 or $60 it seems like I'm getting a better product. Increased water flow, stabilized media baskets and a primer. Worth it or just a bunch of extra bells and whistles?

$50-$60 is a fare chunk of change to spend on better things. The classic series is still around for a reason. It is one of the most efficient, and reliable filters on the market. My Fluvals 205s have started leaking on restart, HOB's choke...my two Eheim classics are worth double or triple what I paid for them in reliability.

J&L Aquatics had the best $ on the Classics when I was shopping last month they come complete with double taps & all of the media.Just make sure you have room under or beside your tank for the canister.

I order 90% of my stuff from petsandponds.com super fast shipping, and great prices on everything I've gotten. 2215 is $124.99 with double taps and a full media kit. $15.00 flat rate shipping, unless your order passes $200, which mine usually does. Good prices on heaters, NLS food, etc etc etc... Take a gander!

• 3 weeks later...

Got it. Sounds like the classics are the way to go. Now the task of finding one for a good deal! If anyone has seen a 2215 for a good price be sure to get at me.

You can search the classifieds for "Eheim" and find ads like this or you can post a "Looking For" ad in the same place.

Distance needn't be a deal breaker. Sometimes members who travel betwixt Calgary and Edm post their travel plans here.

Used classics sell. I bought five here before I bought my first one new. And had I waited another 2wks, I could have saved myself some shekels and made it six.

I have an Eheim XL 1200 pro and I love it, the only problem being that here in Winnipeg we can't seem to get the media for the baskets. Large outflow and does a great job of cleaning the tank. Don't know if you would come across the same problem. Apparently even the person in charge of distribution can't get his hands on any for us either. It will hold 12 litres of media without any issues, we are using biomax. We also have the Fluval FX5 that is effective if you don't put too much media into it because it slows down the output and starts to plug and in comparison will only hold 5 litres of media. The easier cleaning comes from the Eheim and it is also way easier to start up again.