Planted 75Gal W. Moss Wall

jvision

Jenn got me thinking a while back what I'd do with my empty 75gal. Until now, it has been a catch-all for random fish that people have been giving me, or fish that don't really fit elsewhere. Now, it's time to make it something.

This is how it starts:

GOPR0048_zps6cc174d9.jpg

It's an crappy empty tank with a crappy pic!

I want an HMF across the back to plant my moss wall. Can't have one piece of foam, so I have to put in a divider. It's just a piece of glass from a stock canopy cut to fit. Gives me about 3" from the back.

GOPR0047_zpsd81b056b.jpg

I wanted a nice deep sand bed - mostly to raise the foam up enough, but also for some great root development. It's 3" all around! Put some rocks in to see how I want the hardscaping to go

GOPR0050_zpsdf2b306d.jpg

There have been some rave reviews about the Finnex products. I bought 3 of the 48" fixtures: 2 FugeRays and this baby for the plants!

GOPR0049_zps2d960890.jpg

Gotta say, it really lights it up well! (FugeRay on a 125 next to it - also kicks the crap out of the shoplight I had before!)

GOPR0051_zps8f7a6925.jpg

To wood or not?? ('nother FugeRay on that long tank above it - I think I might have to buy some more!)

GOPR0052_zpsfe490123.jpg

Gotta keep the Fishhead, tho!

GOPR0054_zps52d5dbdd.jpg

I'm planning on a moss wall for the back (Chrismas or Flame? - or just throw the mixture I have and see what sticks?), probably one large red sword behind the wood, and maybe a Red Tiger Lotus behind the Fishhead. I'm thinking a Glossostigma carpet for the left side, and a bunch of pygmy chain sword in front of the wood. Still deciding if I want Java fern on the top of the wood...

Let's hear some ideas!

Use a mixture of the moss a clump here and there for the wall and let the strongest survive. I'm a big fan of plants growing out of the tank (especially producing nice flowers)...so something tall at the back which has the ability to be emersed. I do like glosso however in a tank larger than lets say 50gal it starts to look out of place if used as a total cover. I'd suggest something which is a nice ground cover but a little larger...something like Staurogyne repens . This sort of plant will be a great ground cover. The other plants won't give the repens the 1 story look next to the 50 story skyscraper as with glosso. Also in my own tank I have longer pieces of old knarly branches which I think looks quite nice. ( i suppose why I also like jcgd's main display tank)

I really like Glosso, but I understand what you mean about it looking quite small in a large tank. I don't think I'm going to have anything other than Corys for fish in this tank, so I don't really want anything too tall. S. ripens is a good one, too. Maybe use that instead of PCS...

I'm also thinking of a wall of Tiger Val on the left side - might put in a barrier to keep it from spreading throughout the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it started today. HMF is run by a MaxiJet 1200 on the left - that's where the CO2 is feeding for now - and an Eheim Classic 2213 on the right. I will be running CO2 on both sides, but probably into an Hydor right above the spraybar on the right. Planting is sparse for now - got a bunch of plants coming in from Can. Aquatics after the long weekend.

FTS (Watersprite is temporary to help the cycle and that's Windelov Java fern on the log)

null_zps5cda689b.jpg

Some Glosso in front of the driftwood

null_zpsf95d56e2.jpg

P. stellatus and P. helferi on the left side

null_zps94c5b22e.jpg