Large Sponge Filters

jeremoose

Anyone know where to order large sponge filters online? When I say large I mean 6"+ in diameter and at least 6" tall (not including lift tube). I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OCEAN-FREE-JUMBO-BIOFOAM-180-GALLON-LARGE-SPONGE-FILTER-/200562249715 but the price with shipping for a couple of them is kind-of excessive.

Thanks.

I think I have a big one sitting in a box - it's got to be at least 6x6" - could be the one damtrees is talking about at AG. If you want to trade for it, you can have it

My suggestion would be to make one. You could easily make a couple of them for the same price as buying one big one + shipping.

PVC, Foam, airstone. . .done. Easy peasy.

What do you use to way it down then? I want them to have a uniform look to them.

What about those big chunks of poret that Angel Fins carries?

I'm not sure what chunks you're talkin' about! Loving these suggestions. The sponge filters will be going in my 240 to help with biological filtration, hence the large size i'm looking for.

I would say go to Home Depot and buy a few slate tiles to weigh them down. That's what I've done in the past! They can be siliconed right to the tile.

In simplistic terms, the way to build a sponge filter is thus:

1. Buy some PVC (about an inch in diameter), buy some poret foam as Caine has suggested. Or, if you're looking for even cheaper, Home Depot sells giant natural car wash sponges which I have used in the past with great success (just check the packaging and make sure that it is not treated with a mold inhibitor or ANY chemicles). And buy some slate tiles.

2. Cut your foam/sponge to the diameter that you want.

3. Soak your sponge and get it full of water.

4. Get a Tupperware container that you can stuff the sponge (tightly) in to and do so. Then put the lid on. Throw that sucker in the freezer until solid!

5. Once it's solid, take it out and before it has time to thaw, drill a hole that is SMALLER than your PVC down the middle. e.g if you're using a 1" diameter PVC pipe, use a 3/4" diameter hole down the sponge. You want the PVC to sit tightly in the middle of the sponge with no gap.

6. While it is then thawing out start drilling loads of holes in the portion of your PVC that will be in the sponge (this will be your stand pipe). You want the pipe to be the length of the sponge plus a few inches (the closer to the top of the water that your stand pipe is, the quieter it will be)

7. Put PVC stand pipe in the sponge.

9. Silicone the bottom of the stand pipe tightly to the slate

10. Stick sponge over top

11. Run an air tube with an air stone to the bottom of the standpipe

12. Stand back an revel at the amazing thing you've made for less than $10 (I used to make varying sizes for between $5-$15)

Cheap, simple, highly effective and the added satisfaction of saying "I made that!"

Just a side note, the freezing step isn't 100% necessary but I have found it to be the best way to uniformly drill that hole. If you do it in a sponge that is dry you will shred the hell out of it and it will indeed look like hell!

Good luck! Any questions, please just ask or send me a pm.

Aye, I'm sure it's been done before. But it was an idea I had the last time I was making these things. I shredded the hell out of a sponge and was getting frustrated. I kept thinking,"there must be a better way!!!!" Then it occurred to me to freeze it! Works really well :)

Again, I take no credit for the originality of the idea, I'm sure it's been done before. And if it hasn't, well....even a broken clock is right twice a day :D

Post some pics of your final product so we can point and judge!!! I mean...so we can praise and support!!!

Edited by Abby