Any Rural Folks Out There Actually Using Their Well Water?

jamesbarr

Hey guys,

so my family has been waiting for the opportunity to move out into the country for quite some time and its finally here. However, I have no desire to haul water in for my tank. I have pretty a low maintenance tank as it is any how, so my water needs wouldn't be super high, but the likelihood would be that top ups and minor water changes would be done with well water. I have no idea what the water is like out there, thou its a sure bet its hard water, and the area has high iron in the water. Is this something that I should be overly concerned with? I don't want to just try it out and see because I really like the population I have in my tank at the moment. Anyone doing this?

lol tigs, around here the water tends to be very hard. but I guess i will have to a GH test on it when I get there. All that being said, I love my tank too much to get rid of it, I think a blue water bottle now and again from the store would be worth it. :)

Hello Neighbor. We are in the Goose Lake area and i have had a fish tank for years!But i also hauled :town" water too!! Our water was also very hard and rusty. Two years ago we had a Big Iron system installed. Now our water is Fish tank worthy and my hauling days are over! We now have a freshwater tank, a cichlid tank and a reef tank. I do some adjustments mostly on our reef tank, adding calcium etc, but i never used our water before we got the BI system. If you decide to go with your well water, you;re braver than me!

i live north of Cochrane and my well water is very good, hard but you just get fish that like that. I use to live a mile away and the water was bad for rust.My problem is more the power outages, unpredictable for length of time.seem to have more now with all the storms.