Coral Lighting Question

I have a set of 2 short coralife ones that came with my fish, I might try to fix em to make em long enough for my tank, apparently they cost $200, but who knows...might try to tade?????? thoughts?

My budget on lights would be roughly 2-3 hundred. Not sure on my corals right now, I have button corals and polyps and mushrooms at the moment(staying at a friends till my tank is ready)

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on what kind of corals you want to keep. Same goes for your KH. If you only want to keep mushrooms and other softies, then PCs are fine. Start stepping up into LPS and SPS and clams then you'll need T5s, MH or high end LEDs. If your plans include keeping SPS and clams, then you'll need a reliable way of delivering alk (which determines your KH or hardness), calcium and magnesium into your water.

• 1 year later...

Totally agree with MMAX I've kept a reef for 14 years and went through halide which are great for everything BUT they can overheat your tank causing evaporation and sometimes making a chiller needed also bulbs need replace every 8 to 10 months. T5 I would recommend not as hot price point good still have to replace bulb every 8 to 10 months. LED if you don't want the replacement bulb fee and many are programmable to colour spectrum