Guidance?

AcademyElite

There are some leaves turning red on this cluster of plants. Is this a sign of the leaf dying or the plant turning red from iron. I just noticed my whiptail is in this pic.

20130827_185302_zpsc1f33ac4.jpg[/url

This plant has a bunch of leafs that are dieing and only one new leaf. Should I trim the bad ones off and let the new one do all the work? If so where along the plant do i cut to get best results?

20130827_185227_zps561d1ab1.jpg

Same here

20130827_185215_zpsa8d238e4.jpg

I think this plant is flowering. It has little blueish white buds forming.

20130827_185206_zpscf37c660.jpg
Edited by AcademyElite

I usually leave leaves on plants until they start to decay. Then they pollute the water too much so I remove them. If that`s anubias the leaf will last a good while longer. I don't see the harm in leaving it, but if it's ugly/ bothers you you could trim it off.

Sorry, can't help you with the rest.

- To me, the plants look dirty with 'stuff'. Is there enough flow in the tank for a current? Don't let 'stuff' settle on leaves.

- Leave the leaf for now you'll cause the plant more harm and can even stunt that new growth (if it is a small plant with few leaves). As it currently is, that leaf is causing no harm or the other leaves in the 3rd picture.

- Yes, it appears it is flowering.

- And to your first sentence I'll give you a bit of info. There are 100's of pages with similar info which will prove useful in the future. http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/fertilizers-and-co2/aquarium-plants-deficiency/

HOWEVER it can be a combo of things. New plants to your tank environment, new plants adjusting to being underwater, higher/lower nutrients than it was grown, higher/lower light than it was grown. What has me curious is not those leaves turning yellow but the new leaf in the center which has a red hue. That might be a tell to what the plant is doing, transferring from one state to another/adjusting to your nutrient levels.

To sum up, clean the plants and monitor the color trend.

Edited by ckmullin

I think you have a bit of a nutrient deficiency and maybe inadequate flow. Your plants look dirty because particles are becoming caught on fine filamentous algae. More flow will help keep the particles from landing on the leaves. What fertilizing regime are you using? There are many options out there, but the key is making sure the plants have enough, and balanced, nutrients - if any one nutrient is missing, algae will find a way! The nice thing is that your system is new, and this fine stuff often finds a way to taking care of itself - just keep adding plants, have your CO2 at 3 bubbles/sec or higher, and make sure your nutrients are balanced (I use the Estimative Index method). Lighting period should be 10-14hrs - I usually start at 12, then change depending on what I am trying to accomplish (less, if algae seems persistent despite balanced ferts; more, if I want certain plants to flower)

Almost all of your plants were grown immersed, so expect the leaves to die off. New growth may look significantly different (ie, the new red growth in your first pic - the leaves will be a little less broad, too).

- To me, the plants look dirty with 'stuff'. Is there enough flow in the tank for a current? Don't let 'stuff' settle on leaves.

- Leave the leaf for now you'll cause the plant more harm and can even stunt that new growth (if it is a small plant with few leaves). As it currently is, that leaf is causing no harm or the other leaves in the 3rd picture.

- Yes, it appears it is flowering.

- And to your first sentence I'll give you a bit of info. There are 100's of pages with similar info which will prove useful in the future. http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/fertilizers-and-co2/aquarium-plants-deficiency/

HOWEVER it can be a combo of things. New plants to your tank environment, new plants adjusting to being underwater, higher/lower nutrients than it was grown, higher/lower light than it was grown. What has me curious is not those leaves turning yellow but the new leaf in the center which has a red hue. That might be a tell to what the plant is doing, transferring from one state to another/adjusting to your nutrient levels.

To sum up, clean the plants and monitor the color trend.

TYVM