Best Food For Flower Shrimp?

guardian167

When I used to have one I just ground up NLS pellets until it was a powder. Then I added a few drops of water to some crushed NLS and sucked it into a pipette. I found the pipette was easier and used less food. I was able to squirt it right at the shrimp to make sure he got some. Better then just adding a bunch to the water column. I also fed cyclops and ground up any flakes or whatever food I had lying around. You just need to make sure its ground up enough, my guy didn't like the large food chunks.

When I used to have one I just ground up NLS pellets until it was a powder. Then I added a few drops of water to some crushed NLS and sucked it into a pipette. I found the pipette was easier and used less food. I was able to squirt it right at the shrimp to make sure he got some. Better then just adding a bunch to the water column. I also fed cyclops and ground up any flakes or whatever food I had lying around. You just need to make sure its ground up enough, my guy didn't like the large food chunks.

How did you crush pallets/flake food into powder form? I have a lot of flake laying around but they are too big for my baby fish. I though of using a food processor to do the job but I need to add water. I don't think it will work.

Approeciate your expertise.

How did you crush pallets/flake food into powder form? I have a lot of flake laying around but they are too big for my baby fish. I though of using a food processor to do the job but I need to add water. I don't think it will work.

I use a pestle and mortar, some people use a pepper mill or coffee grinder.

Thanks Jason,

It must take you a long time to grind them into powder form by using a pestle and mortara.

i am hoping to use equipment of some sort to do the job.

So many replies already, awesome! :D

Thanks! Liquid fish fry food is an interesting idea, is that a commercially available product? I was thinking of getting some frozen brine shrimp, yet I am worried about the salinity?

Thanks Jason,

It must take you a long time to grind them into powder form by using a pestle and mortara.

i am hoping to use equipment of some sort to do the job.

Mortar and pestle is definitely the civilized way to go, what I have been doing is just hammering the Hikari pellets inside its original packaging, pretty strong plastic I tell you!

I use a small mortar and pestle too. Takes 2 seconds to grind up pellets. I've used it to grind up NLS pellets, algae wafers and flakes. With flakes you can even just squish them up into a powder using your fingers. Ground up food goes a long way so you don't need to make huge batches in a blender or anything.

I prefer the mortar and pestle over the pepper grinder way. The pepper grinder doesn't make a powder, just smaller chunks of pellet.