Bulk Baby Brine Eggs?

Abby

Hi all,

Does anybody know a good source for Brine Shrimp eggs in bulk? Big Als has the 3.5oz containers (which are ridiculously overpriced) and Canadian Aqua Farm carries the 1/2lb bags. . .but the bags are pre-mixed with salt which makes me question how much you're actually getting as far as eggs.

So, I'm looking for somewhere that might be selling eggs by the pound.

Has anybody encountered somewhere like that? Please let me know!

Cheers all

ebay but this product is always over priced anywhere you look.

1st hit on ebay for the highest weight: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brine-Shrimp-Eggs-Artemia-Cycts-for-Tropical-Aquarium-Fry-Fish-food-bulk-500g-/271240297452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f272e7bec&_uhb=1

not sure on the need but if you don't need to hatch:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-2-LB-DECAPSULATED-BRINE-SHRIMP-EGGS-Fish-Food-/150646743344?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item23133ee130

Edited by ckmullin

That's not a terrible price. . .and free shipping helps.

Brineshrimpdirect.com has great prices but their shipping is outrageous. $36 for 1lb of eggs. . .$42 to ship it to Calgary. I find that highly suspect. . .I've shipped a guitar across the border for less than that.

I know people have ordered from AngelFins, and they're a sponsor of the forum... Not sure if they're 'bulk' enough for you, tho

I use the eggs from Rick at the farm. I hatch 1/2 tsp in 500 ml everyday. I get four feedings for + - 60 month old fry out of that amount. Half pound goes for a good while.

I'm interested in the choice you make however, keep us posted please.

Yes indeed we have all started to pay a little more for bb eggs since Dave H. from the CAS stopped bringing in cases from Brine Shrimp Direct BSD. Even bringing in the case load ... the cost for the shipping was getting pretty high. A number of connections I have had over the years have stopped bringing it in because of shipping costs and instability in the market, thus the LFS are making a good buck for a few ounces of eggs. Yes I have seen some sell .... eggs and salt mixed ..... and even though it makes it pretty simple to hatch out some brine, if you figure the amount of brine you end up with, it is certainly more expensive then buying a 1 lb can from Angel Fins for which I have been doing now for about the last year. I go through a 1 lb can of eggs about every 2 months.

I believe Angel Fins has the 80% hatch rate eggs in stock again for $55 a lb. 80 % is by far a higher hatch rate then any eggs you will ever buy from any of the LFS. The brand that Angel Fins is stocking is Artemia International GSL ....different then BSD, but what was most commonly sold here in Canada was OSI brand, which I found was not near the egg that Artemia sells. Ken's Fish.com sells the Artemia GSL eggs as well and you can see on his web page the comments he gets from his USA customers about the GSL eggs. .... http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/brine-shrimp-eggs.html

I have in the past even purchased from Jehmco in the USA. Choked down the shipping costs, but last time they warned me that fish food was occasionaly getting stopped at the border..... so we can't promise delivery!

So Angel Fins is charging $9 a can more then Ken's , however take in exchange and shipping.... 9 bucks won't get you far.

One last comment .... I am having a second package being shipped tomorrow from Angel Fins with not shipping charges. Want a can .... hurry up! Link to Angel Fins brine eggs ..... http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1159

Cheers

Ric

Thank you everyone for the feedback and tips. Most helpful!!

I'm ordering from brine direct this time around (next time I'll absolutely be supporting Angelfins). I have a friend buying as well so we'll split the shipping costs.

Maybe I'll start bringing it in by the case and be the "dealer" for Calgary!

Cheers all

• 4 weeks later...