Pwc - How Do You Do It?

flash_oesc

I thought I would pick the brains of the masses to see how you do you partial water changes. As I've gone from one 20G to 5 tanks...my bucket method got old.

My current method -

Drain -gravel vac water into buckets, (if wife is helping, she plugs vac while I dump them, if solo...I stop and start every two 12L buckets) then I dump the buckets down the toilet.

Fill - I have a "Y" toggle valve in my shower, I use a sharkbite connector, and hook up 50' of pex pipe. I have a ball valve at the end. I run the water, use digital thermometer to match temp. Close valve, head to tank, and open valve to fill. I add prime as I fill the tank.

My fill method is quick and easy, my drain method needs work.

How do you do it?

I use a "Python"...sooooo much easier. Definitely worth the money.

+1 on the python. I just got one after setting up a 55 G for my son and taking his 37 for myself. The thought of hauling that many buckets prompted the purchase and I wish I would have a long time ago. Takes a lot less time now and I don't break my back.

Get a length of hose to suit your needs. From the farthest point on your tank to a drain. I use electrical tape to attach the hose to the faucet so it stays put.

Get a small power head pump (pico pumps are less than 20 bucks at big als) that fits into the hose.

There's your water out solution.

I use pyhton too from my 90G down to my 10G tank. But thinking of getting RO so not sure yet how to set it up and what kind of pump to use. Seen 55G plastic drum with lid in Calgary, thats enough for 50% WC on my 90G.

I built built my own python . buy the hose at princess princess auto. Drain it down the toilet. Install a cheap brass tap somewhere that will accept a garden garden hose. Use a second hose to fill it up. I like to keep my dirty water away from clean water hoses to avoid criss contamination. I can suck out 120 gallons and refill it in about 25 minutes if you you go 5/8 or 3/4 hose.

So with all the python and diy pythons, I understand the water pressure of the tap starts the siphon, and keeps it draining.

For those draining to outside or toilet...etc - are you just using siphon + gravity, or are you using a pump?

The venturi valves and pico pumps don't seem to be options in the far North :)

I drain straight to the toilet with a long hose and fill with a garden hose, adding prime as I go.

PS I don't have any tanks under 140g currently so temperature matching isn't as much of a concern.

Edited by jeremoose

When draining outside I let gravity keep the siphon going, but thinking about trying a pump to speed things up.As my MTS progresses WC are taking longer & longer.