55 Gallon

Bruno

We purchased a new Fluval 55 Gallon tank and the best place to put it was where the 37 G was, so my son took over this tank (actually I love that he has such an interest in this hobby, so I am happy to do whatever I can to encourage it). All his fish and decor were moved to this tank and I gave him free reign to place everythign as he wanted. I wouldn't have done it the same myself, but it is growign on me and the fish seem OK with it :)

We seem to have a very bossy female swordtail. She chases the males around relentlessly, until one day we woke to find both males belly up. Water tested OK, and everyone else seemed happy so I expect she was the reason. With no males she has settled down and will put the chase on the Angelfish once in a while but otherwise is behaving herself. My wife has a friend who doesn't seem to get along with males either, so I have taken to calling this fish by her name. Always gets me a dirty look

We had another friend who purchased a tank, so we donated some filter media and a few fish to them, allowing us to restock the tank a little. Current fish stocking is Mickey Mouse Platies purchased at our first CAS auction who have a home in my sons heart, Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Red Ram, a couple of Electric Blue Rams, a Leopard Angelfish, the female swordtails, Panda Guppies (also from a CAS auction) and some Panda and Punctatus Corys.

It is a peaceful, colorful tank that sits right beside our couch so many hours are spent with one of us relaxing and watching them :)

(new pic to follow shortly)

• 4 months later...

Time for an update - the sand was getting nasty looking (turning green) and my son wanted to redo the tank, so we pulled everything out, put in gravel, some new decor and put the fish back in. Stocking is now 2 Angelfish, lemon tetras, rummynose tetras, Albino BN pleco, dwarf gourami's and soon the rams, cardinal and other gourami's will be back (they were moved out for the substrate swap as I was worried it might trigger a mini cycle so I wanted to lessen the bio load). Here is an updated pic:

photo_zps6a826e11.jpg

• 10 months later...

Ugh I can't wait till my daughter grows up and wants to put Dora or my little pony in her aquascaped tank... Well at least the pony will have a nice assortment of plants to munch on lol. Good thing I have a little time she just turned one on xmas eve.

I hope she grows up to learn and love the hobby like your son has, good on you man.

Ugh I can't wait till my daughter grows up and wants to put Dora or my little pony in her aquascaped tank... Well at least the pony will have a nice assortment of plants to munch on lol. Good thing I have a little time she just turned one on xmas eve.

I hope she grows up to learn and love the hobby like your son has, good on you man.

Reminds me of my son and one of his x-mas toys. Those little nano electronic fish. Throw it in water and it flaps around swimming. Tap the glass to wake it up. Only problem is it doesn't get very far cause all the plants! lol