Alder Cones

CRA2009

Best places to try are provincial parks close to bodies of water,while some parks will use pesticides they are very cautious around water.

We have alders in calgary and/or edmonton?

Yep sure do had two growing along the property line until my neighbor ( a card carrying tree hater) took a chainsaw to them.They are more like a small tree or bush and are native to Alberta.

Black Alder (Alnus glutinosa "Imperialis") is European. Green Alder (Alnus viridis) and the Grey Alder (Alnus incana) are the native species.

This is a distribution map for the green and for grey but it only tells us that some places in Alberta have it. It doesn't tell us the exact sites they sampled though you can kind of guess. In general it doesn't look like neither Calgary nor Edmonon areas are very good places for finding alders in the wild. Urban planting is a different story I'm sure.

Gonna have to grow one maybe :D

Huh. interesting. I'm going to have to do some research and keep my eyes open while out and about. I don't suppose Prince's Island Park has any eh? That would be too convenient.

I'm sure you could probably find some in Prince's Island Park, I have seen them in Fish Creek Park just can't remember where. I will try to be more observant when walking the mutt and report back.