Help! Tank Has Chunk Of Corner Missing, Advice On Repair Needed

Aqua_Yoda

This is the 160 gallon aquarium I recently purchased (79x21x22). I picked up this tank for a great price and had checked it over besides the side tucked into corner, I got it inside my home and filled before I saw this chunk missing out of bottom glass. It holds water and I cant feel any hole behind the inside silicone so I don't think its going that far in. I know it had to be like that when I purchased it and they had it for years setup in that spot with no leaks or cracks(the dust and bug collection under the stand when we moved it leads me to believe it was there that long as they said it was)

My question is should I leave it and just do the re-seal I plan on in the near future OR do I buy a 1/2" thick glass cut to fit inside the entire bottom of tank and install it on top of the old one while re-sealing? See picspost-6153-0-52671100-1381708878_thumb.jpgpost-6153-0-37470900-1381709945_thumb.jpgpost-6153-0-28767800-1381710047_thumb.jpg

had a similar issue and i just did this:

Cut a couple small pieces of glass to over cover that area and silicone them inside the tank on that corner. After that...it's all fine. I would suggest though to turn the tank upside down and check that bottom sheet of glass so that there are no leading cracks that can work their way further from the tank edge. If there are any leading cracks that can pose a problem...it would be best to get a new sheet of glass.

Thanks for the fast reply, the weird thing is that all the edges are smooth on that area, no hair cracks visible from outside bottom. Would a full bottom pane installed inside over the current one be good in both cases? My other idea was that the front pane is scratched up at bottom and is exactly the same size as the bottom, how hard would it be to put a new piece on front and put old piece on bottom? Is it risky replacing panes of glass or should I just double layer bottom?

I wouldn't throw in a full sheet of glass but only a few inches x a few inches. A piece no greater than 6"x4" would be fine for the bottom and if the sides need anything a glass strip would be fine.. Again what I did in my situation and it has worked just fine. You only need to re-enforce that corner that's it.

If you are considering switching side for side, that project is a full tank rebuild and all the joy of striping old silicone and taping off joints for a new silicone job. If you do this just make sure you don't crack any of the glass as it will cost much more than just a few scrap glass pieces.

Edited by ckmullin

Make sure to use a good amount of silicone to spread out the pressure (try to avoid glass on glass). I agree with ckmullin, a tank that big would be a big deal to redo a side. 'smooth edges' are a good sign, means that there are no spots where stress may accumulate.

My plan is when I re-seal the tank I will remove the old seal (inside not between panes) and heavily cover that corner and up the side about 1/2"with silicone as well as the bottom and contacting edges of glass piece and put it into the spot then put the new silicone seal in. I am assuming I should use 1/2" glass to patch it as my current glass is 1/2"?

Here is a pic of the tank currently.

post-6153-0-41755100-1381774412_thumb.jpg

post-6153-0-53051700-1381774480_thumb.jpg

Use what glass size you can get your hands on. Thicker the better to a degree but just don't use window pane thickness. For the silicone...imo you don't need to over do it with gobs of silicone. Throw a bead down...seat the glass insert...silicone over top again to seal and your just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I dismantled a 35g tank I have and will use a side from that for the corner. Should I be in a big rush to do this repair and reseal? The tank is still setup with my discus in it and still does not leak and no air bubbles in between panes have expanded. Also would it be a good idea to put foam under the tank due to having wood stand and no bottom trim?

I greatly appreciate all the advice, this is my first aquarium over 55g

• 1 month later...

I purchased a used 175 gallon tank and set it on styrofoam on my garage floor to do the leak test. Must say i was impressed with how the foam compressed under the tank evenly distributing the weight and left a perfect imprint of the floor on the back side. I plan to use 1" under my 175 gal. display tank and 1/2" under my 75 gallon sump and future 80 gallon second display tank. I have also been advised to do this by many "experts" that I have come across through my planning. The product I use is fairly cheap http://www.homedepot.ca/product/plastispan-hd-eps-rigid-insulation-96inch-x-24inch-x-1inch/940428 I use the HD because it says it is mildew resistant.