Today Is A Sad Day :(

polleni-puffer

I knew it was near, but I was hoping he would last a bit longer...

Today I lost my much loved little Mudskipper. Although I never really named him, he was certainly one of my favourite fish. I picked him up about 3-4 years ago, and at the time he was already full sized, so its no surprise that he was growing old. He had been showing symptoms too. Starting to lose his balance and sit "funny" (in an "L" shape looking at him above) and he would have seizure type episodes once and a while. He also battled through a bad sickness earlier this year but he pulled through it. We've been through a lot together, from him jumping at the front for me to handfeed him crickets and pellets, to me cradling him in my hand to make sure he could take gasps of air during his "episodes" at the end of his life. His desire for exotic foods had dwindled too, before he would decimate pellets, demolish crickets, much on bloodworms, and was quite the skilful hunter of minnows. Towards the end he still enjoyed pellets, mysis, and bloodworms but lost his taste for living flesh.

Last night he had a big delightful meal of shrimp pellets, and was settled onto his island. This afternoon he was down on the bottom of his tank having another episode. Sadly, although he returned to a normal state, this episode would be his last. He passed away peacefully with a fully belly earlier today.

R.I.P little buddy

P1010871.jpg

I'll try and find some more pictures of him and set up a little photo memorial.

ITS A MIRACLE !!

So I went to go scoop my little buddy out of the tank so I could bury him, however something wasn't quite right. Instead of floating near the bottom, he was perched alive and fairly well on top of his island ! Literally, he went from ashy grey, not breathing, stiff and being blown around in the current (aka dead), to fully alive again. Its quite literally a miracle.

I've got some meds in his water that always seem to perk him up, and hopefully he will still be around for a few more years at least :) (although I could go with less dying on occasion)