Pond Help

Ron

Hello,

I am thinking of building a very large pond over the next couple of years and was wondering if there was anyone on here with lots of experience that wouldn't mind me picking their brain for some help. I contacted a professional pond builder but they gave me a quote that was more than both of my vehicles.....when they were new :shock:!!!!!

I may only excavate and line it this coming spring and worry about filling and filtering the year after.

Thanks,

Ron

I've built a few. I worked on one project where the pond was 100' long, 80' wide, around 10' deep, had a wetlands filtration system that was 10x20x2' and a 30' streem... I believe the bill on that one was around the $300K mark. It took us a couple months of 12hr days, some heavy machinery, and some waterway diversion, but MAN does it look good!

Feel free to ask any questions on the open forum, or PM me if you prefer.

I've built a few. I worked on one project where the pond was 100' long, 80' wide, around 10' deep, had a wetlands filtration system that was 10x20x2' and a 30' streem... I believe the bill on that one was around the $300K mark. It took us a couple months of 12hr days, some heavy machinery, and some waterway diversion, but MAN does it look good!

Feel free to ask any questions on the open forum, or PM me if you prefer.

That sounds awesome, I wish I could afford something like that.

I'm thinking about something in the 15,000 - 25,000 gallon range but I have a high water table so I may need to have it come a couple feet above ground.

Not sure what I want to line it with as I am fearful of burrowing critters getting through a soft liner. I've heard of spray on cement lining but I can't find it anywhere, ever heard or worked with it? What are options for filtering all year round?

Thanks,

Ron

That's so funny Ron. After staring at my cousin's pondS for so long on facebook, I want to build a pond and stream out back too! It's probably more work than grass to maintain :P but so relaxing when you get to enjoy.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is resale if I should want to sell my house. What is your view?

Anything over 24" deep needs a pool permit and a 6' tall locking fence, so pretty much all of my backyard projects are 24" deep. I have a few customers who keep their fish in their ponds over winter w/o problems - yes, even koi will overwinter in a 24" deep pond. Some shut down the pump and place a bubbler in, others have an oversized pump and just run the system all year - just make sure water stays in the system, and you'll be good.

I always use a flexible liner. I put a layer of felt underlay between the liner and ground, which seems to protect against frost heaving quite well. I've used the same materials in town and out of town and have never had a problem with burrowing animals (I'm guessing you mean something more substantial than earthworms!).

That's so funny Ron. After staring at my cousin's pondS for so long on facebook, I want to build a pond and stream out back too! It's probably more work than grass to maintain :P but so relaxing when you get to enjoy.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is resale if I should want to sell my house. What is your view?

If done right, a pond can be basically maintenance free - maybe a WC a couple times per year. It's basically a large planted tank. :)

As far as resale: One customer of mine just sold their place for substantially more than their next door neighbor (about 4 months between sales). The customer's house was smaller, and the driveway was gravel (as opposed to cement). The main difference was landscaping. If you're looking at fully landscaping a yard professionally, you could easily pay $20K or more... to some buyers, having it already done is a plus!

Just like this forum, there are some very good pond forums out there. With every question you could possibly think of, answered.

If a little old lady in Wisconsin can dig 2 ponds by herself, you can definitely figure out how to do this!!!

Not sure but I don't plan on moving anytime in the near or distant future.

Anything over 24" deep needs a pool permit and a 6' tall locking fence, so pretty much all of my backyard projects are 24" deep. I have a few customers who keep their fish in their ponds over winter w/o problems - yes, even koi will overwinter in a 24" deep pond. Some shut down the pump and place a bubbler in, others have an oversized pump and just run the system all year - just make sure water stays in the system, and you'll be good.

I always use a flexible liner. I put a layer of felt underlay between the liner and ground, which seems to protect against frost heaving quite well. I've used the same materials in town and out of town and have never had a problem with burrowing animals (I'm guessing you mean something more substantial than earthworms!).

Not sure what the regulations are in the MD but I'll check into it, but I've seen some other ponds on surrounding acreages. I have plenty of moles around and I would go berserk if they tunneled into my pond.

Just like this forum, there are some very good pond forums out there. With every question you could possibly think of, answered.

If a little old lady in Wisconsin can dig 2 ponds by herself, you can definitely figure out how to do this!!!

Really, I should see if she's available.... :P