Cory Id Please

Fisher

They could be either ambiacus, agassizii or lamberti. These 3 species are very difficult to differentiate from each other. Collection origin would be great to have but I think is probably impossible to get in this case. Check planetcatfish Cat-eLog for the pictures of the different species and see what you come up with. Since you get to look at them live, I'm going to assume that your assesssment will be more accurate than a picture. I'd be interested to know what identification you arrive at.

• 4 months later...

The seller wasn't able to tell me who the importer was. So after 5 straight months of non-stop taxonomy, (and trying to distill the variant photos on planetcatfish), I reckon they're C ambiacus.

Their body pattern seems just as bold as C agassizii, but these have a more pronounced mask than C agassizii.

The black dorsal spot on C lamberti seems to run mid-dorsal to tip; these run down through the front dorsal rays and blends into its back.

*shrug.

Edit: the delphax photos are also convincing! A few have that bronze/gold hue behind the mask and through the gill cover. On others, the coloration isn't as strong, or long. Photos of both ambiacus and delphax contain those variants.

Edited by Fisher