Red Cherry Shrimp - How To Get Started

darryl180

Hi,

I am preparing to start a tank dedicated to Red Cherry Shrimp.

After much research and reading I am still not exactly sure how to get started.

If anyone can help - that would be great.

Tank size.

Food requirements.

Substrate.

Temperature.

Best / favorite plants.

Breeding tips.

General tips of any kind.

Anything else I should be thinking of.

Thanks!

Darryl

Buy a few shrimp and add water :P They are super easy

When I first started with cherries I got 10 and and put them in a 10g barebottom with a small HOB filter. I didn't even use a heater. They started to breed right away and in a couple months I had tons. I just feed them NLS pellets or the off algae waffer.

You can setup the tank pretty much any way you want as they arent picky. Just don't add any fish that are big enough to eat them. Right now I keep my painted red shrimp in with assassin snails and endlers.

DO NOT add fish. I know, I know, you CAN add fish. Anytime I've added fish into my shrimp tank the population eventually peters out. Ember tetras, threadfin rainbows, micro rasbora. It doesn't really matter, shrimp are snack food.

My betta agrees with creekbottom :( Though I see shrimplets for the first time....my overall population is lower than when I started. Although, this is a betta tank with shrimp, not a shrimp tank with a betta - and I believe I have the happiest betta ever...haha

Yip. like Val said. Add water, shrimp and some Java moss and wait. Mine eat NLS or whatever is in the tanks. Just keep in mind.

Keep in mind that shrimplets are really tiny and easily vacuumed up by accident. For my shrimp tanks I usually usually siphon into a bucket before dumping it out.

Saved a ton of them from a certain death.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I think my new shrimp will be here next weekend. Can't wait to get started.

So far I have everything that is suggested - plants - food - no fish.

Vacuuming tip is helpful too.

Would it be better to have gravel, sand or bare bottom?

The tank presently has gravel.

Any experience with Panda Loaches and shrimp?

Edited by darryl180

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Fluval Shrimp Soil as substrate or the Fluval Plant Soil. The shrimp love it as they are able to pick it up and eat off of it as well; this is not a messy substrate either and is easier to clean than sand. Plants work well in this substrate too. For cherry shrimp Elodea canadensis also known as Anacharis is awsome for these kinds of tanks. It easily takes up nutrient, requires low light, and you can just let it float and look pretty if you want to.

Panda Loaches are just fine with shrimp as are Otocinclus as they both are a small sucker mouthed fish. Be warned though that Panada Loaches do not like temperaturs above 75°F/23.9°C. I accidently during Calgay's heat wave last summer killed mine off as the ambient temperature in my home in the basement rose to 84°F. Optimal range is 68 – 75°F/20 – 23.9°C with a PH range of 6.5-7.5. These are a little more sensitive than most.

If you are looking to keep a shrimp safe fish in your tank get a trio of Otocinclus; they are veggitarian and will not harm your young shrimp. Great at keeping alge off your tank walls as well.

Should you be in Calgary at any point I would be happy to share some plants or tips.

Cheers!

Thanks ShrimpChick.

How long does the Fluval Shrimp Soil last? Can you just leave it forever?

I really like the panda loaches. Cute little guys for sure.

I am getting quite addicted to the whole shrimp scene. They are fascinating.

I started with neos from the previous Ebiken group order. Thanks to Ron.

Picked up some Red Cherries, Pumpkins and Blue Velvets.

The Reds were youngsters. I lost a few, but the rest are active, always going about their shrimply duties. Hope to have babies soon.

The Pumpkins are great. Had babies within a week. I think there are about 15 babies so far - maybe more. They are in a 10 gallon right now, but I may give them more space as the colony grows.

My Blue Velvets had a rough start. Twice I had heaters fail within two weeks. First time the heater just quit so they got really cold. Replacement heater tried to cook them. Out of 10 I only can find 3 or 4. Only saw one dead one... So maybe they are just hiding really well. Still hoping to get these established, growing and multiplying.

As soon as the tanks are ready ( cycling now ) I am getting some Blue Rili, Blue Angels and some Orange Eye Blue Tigers.

So excited.

Very cool Darryl, I got some cherry shrimp right now as well in my Fluval Flora, got rid of all my other tanks due to moving, but I might pickup some tanks again in the near future, I miss them already.

As far as substrate goes, anything dark will do, as it will make your shrimp pop more, and they will get better color. I use the Flourite Seachem, its awesome stuff, but pricey.

• 1 month later...

Hey Darryl sorry for the late reply as it was a busy Christmas season.

I have found that the soil lasts and lasts with no issues. Remember though that when planting with it should you need to root up things to rearrange take time and have patience to not cause a large stir up of particulate. On my 33g allon I have a 3" bed of the Flourite Seachem as well in an established tank for 6 years now. I found that I liked the soils more as it is lighter than the Flourite allowing the shrimp to pick up the particals to feed off of them and dig around some and the cost is significantly lower. In perspective I 15lbs bag will fill a 10gallon for 1" approx.

It is sad to hear about what happened with your heaters as I can feel for you, 3 years ago due to a malfunction I lost $1500 in discus, loaches, higher end plecos and the like. I found that for my small shrimp tanks the Marineland heaters were of good quality, the heater length is shorter than most thus is more versatile, showed the temp setting you are set at and of decent durability. Just a thought if you need another.

As you are in Lethbridge and I have family out there that I visit frequently enough I would love to perhaps meet up and contribute a little to your collection with perhaps some Chrystal Reds S though SS+ if you would like. My collony is now fourishing and last night I counted 68 babies of various sizes from the ittty itty bitty to 8mm with still 9 more berried females. PM me if your interested as I plan to be up next month which would mean that they will me juviniles by then. I have a few awsome shrimp plants as well that I would be happy to bring with me as well if you like.

Good luck in the obsesion my friend! :thumbs: