Skittish Altum Angels

Fishnerd

So I have a tank full of Altum angels and lately they have been extra skittish and have lost 5 in the past 2 months because they smash into things as they try to seemingly escape from nothing. It's never been this bad before.

The water is good, it is a huge tank in a medium to low traffic area, their only tank mates are a pair of Festivums and a Peckolita.

That may be the problem, the way I see it is they seem easily frightened when you walk close for the first time and all the fish react the same way until being fed. In my other tanks they're like lost puppy's happy to see you.

I am thinking perhaps some sort of mild dither fish like certain tetras to provide some regular distraction to disrupt the "trance" or mindset of the Angels.

What do the other fish whisperers think ?

Hi Stan,

Are these the altum you bought from me? I had the same problem before. My altums were skittish for a long time but one day became well all the sudden. It was still a mystery to me. What I can suggest is the lower the light and water current. Add some tankmates such as corys or rams may help.

After being away for a couple of weeks I walked in and my Altums went all crazy like you described. The basement doesn't see much traffic while I am gone. They once again have settled down as there is more traffic, and that traffic feeds them a pinch as they cruise by. They now are begging as anyone goes by. I have subdued lighting as well, a 4 foor T5HO about 18 inches above the lids.

Hi Fishlover, yes these are yours and I also got a bunch elsewhere so it was/is a fair size shoal... I feel so bad for them all when this happens.

I can subdue the lighting for sure and there is a good mix of open space and wood/plants etc.

So far the recommendations are corys and rams, any other suggestions maybe a good tetra or rasbora, I have some Barillius Canarensis but they may be a bit busy for the angels ??