New Tank Setup

jeditait

The dominant male(pic 1) can be very aggressive however i find its mostly towards the females. He hardly ever bugs the other male (pic 2). I find the most aggressive fish I have are my Male Red Zebra(pic 3), a male socolofi(pic 4) and my unknown(pic 5).

I want to add more fish, i have started a list from Spencer Jacks, mostly Peacocks. Hopefully the added fish will reduce some of the aggression in the tank.

(pics are fuzzy, sorry im not a great photographer)

post-6209-0-15365900-1385177772_thumb.jpg

post-6209-0-40330700-1385177785_thumb.jpg

post-6209-0-17104500-1385177811_thumb.jpg

post-6209-0-54601400-1385178007_thumb.jpg

post-6209-0-86007800-1385178085_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tank looks amazing! I'm planning something similar in a 72 x 24 x 24 display tank.

What type of vegetation are you using? This is something I'd like to add to mine when I get on it but I have been lead to believe that cichlids and plants don't mix.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the same thing, the africans will usually destroy the plants, or up root them all the time, everytime I had silk plants in with them I would find them floating every other day. Tank looks awesome.

Wow I haven't been paying attention to my notifications, my apologies!

My tank has mostly Anubias planted in it plus some Amazon swords. The anubias grows great with a bit being eaten by the fish (although I wonder if it's more likely that the snails or my plecos are doing the damage). I watch the cichlids pick at the amazon swords all the time and am considering removing them because they are just getting ugly. I also have another species, sorry I don't know what it is (I'll add pics later) but the fish don't touch it provides cover for fry or small fish and I have had no issues with it.

Everyone says java fern and anubias are the best for cichlid tanks and I would agree I liked the look of the amazons in the store but they have been destroyed and don't look nearly as good in my tank :). Oh I tried Hornwort once, stay away from it, I was constantly fishing out pieces from the tank and had to clean my filter constantly :).

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll be working on completing the project (stand skirt and tank lid) this week ill post pics once I'm all done.

I thank you very much for the reply. I'm so glad I have found Alberta Aquatic, so many questions answered already and I haven't even put a drop of water in my tank.

I will take a look at your suggested plants when I get out and about and I'd love to see the pictures of the completed setup.

Thanks again,

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry went AWOL again...

Attempted to build a lid for the tank, a few trips to Home Depot and a couple weekends of pure frustration. My biggest mistake wasn't planning it out like I planned out the sump. I will try again one day, most of what I need is here but I have to actually draw it first :|

On a positive note...fish are loving this tank and sump setup. Both pairs of my jewels are a brilliant red and have spawned. Only a few fry have lived. I picked up some Kribensis Cichlids and they are amazing. They add a new dynamic to the tank.

Also as promised earlier here is a pic of the plant I have in my tank, not sure what it is though...cichlids don't really touch it and it provides a great hiding spot for my EBJD and fry.

post-6209-0-50417300-1390955704_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeditait

Hmmmmmm...I bought some anubias barteri and nana but they look fairly similar to each other whereas the leaves on this plant are much smaller. And it grows horizontally while the other plants grow vertically. I guess this could just be a different type of anubias??

Also while on the topic, I have some black algae growing on the leaves of all my plants that is driving me insane. I I have 3 plecos in the tank some snails and I have tried limiting light in the tank but can't seem to get rid of it. Any other suggestions on how to rid myself of this stuff?

Seachem Excel does wonders on black beard algae just follow directions on the bottle I have never found it necessary to over dose like some recommend.

Spot treatment works well on non living thingies however when it's on plant just dose the tank. If needed you can easily add more glutaraldehyde, double even triple is fine. I dose high regularly right now just to provide added carbon. It should turn red then you'll know the dose is high enough and it is being affected. When it turns grey it's dead. It can take a couple days or hours depending on the level you dose.

• 2 weeks later...

No change to the algae after dosing with excel for a week straight! I've doubled the dose and still the stuff seems to thrive!

Would adding co2 from a DIY reactor work? If so can I run this all day and night? What impact will it have on pH??

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply :)

• 1 month later...

nice set up.!just reminding you if planning add more peacocks try to hook up with fairdeal its on your same location..mostly my fish from this guy.stay away from the lfs specially calgary.