New Tank Setup

jeditait

I'll be moving In a few months so I'll be tearing the tank down and selling all my fish and decorations. I'm going to build a 3D background and repopulating the tank. This time around I want to stick to mostly peacocks, and I'll be definitely shopping around for good quality fish you don't normally find in LFS :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your time frame for liquidation?

I'm still gathering all my bits and pieces to put my setup together and looking at least another month before I'm "ready" for fish. Hope to have the basement done in a few weeks, moving the 180g tank into place is scheduled for this weekend if I can find enough friends willing to put their backs on the line for my obsession.

I would be interested in your cichlid safe plants and perhaps the driftwood pieces, I can put the plants in my kid's tank until I'm ready but I don't think his guppies would appreciate the tank mates you have to offer.

I'm sure there is a way to Private message on the forum but being new I'm not sure how, if not I can give you my email to talk $$s if you like.

I'll be moving In a few months so I'll be tearing the tank down and selling all my fish and decorations. I'm going to build a 3D background and repopulating the tank. This time around I want to stick to mostly peacocks, and I'll be definitely shopping around for good quality fish you don't normally find in LFS :)

As far as the comment about the good quality fish, I too am looking for some top notch specimens to put in my tank. I haven't had any luck finding any online suppliers but I have been told by a few of the LFSs that if I bring them a list of what I am looking for they would be happy to bring them in special for me if they have access to them.

An update on my black hair algae issues....

Apparently the best solution to control the algae is more plants. I picked up some trimming from a member here and added a bunch of Hornwort, Pennywort and Rotala. The algae on my Anubias has gone down significantly.

So far the cichlids haven't ripped the new plants apart either so thats a bonus :)

Heres a pic of the new plants (you can still see some algae on some of the anubias but this is much better than it was before).

Now I need to figure out how to get my amazon swords to stay healthy :)

2014-03-21162323_zps571915b2.jpg

You will have a hard time making you Amazon sword happy at the same time as keeping your cichlids happy.

Africans like hard, alkaline water, swords like soft, acidic water. In my last tank setup I was running Calgary tap water with basic filter media and my swords were hurting, no growth skinny blades and pale Color. I went and talked to the staff at the much missed Hole in the Wall fish store and they game me buffer down and peat pellets to put in my tank and the swords went nuts, added a bit of fertilizer too. I had one plant that was pushing off the front and rear glass of my 90g tank and almost reached the surface.

I wouldn't sweat it too much though, your tank does look great.

Thank you :)

I did some trimming today on the real bad leaves to see if they other ones will come up. I do have new growth and I guess that's what matters.

Now that I have placed the plants together instead of spread apart I don't notice them as much, I'm sure that will calm my OCD for a bit :)

I get you there, on the OCD thing. The hardest part for me will be realizing that my new setup won't ever be as perfect as I imagine it, especially when it is first set up.

Good luck with the sword, they are an awesome plant when they are strong and heathy.

Well I've decided to go pressurized CO2, picked up a Aqua Medic 500 reactor from a member (plus some java fern, a HUGE amazon sword and Riccia) got a Milwaukee Regulator & Solenoid combo from Big Als now I just need a co2 tank. If anyone has one collecting dust that would let it go for a fair price let me know :)

OK i got my pressurized co2 all hooked up and running great...

I've started testing my water everyday to watch the kh, gh and ph to ensure i'm not swinging too much. What is the acceptable swing range?

As of this morning i'm at:

kh 12 degrees

gh 15 degrees

ph 7.6

ammonia 0 ppm

nitrite 0 ppm

nitrate 20 ppm