Spray Foam

corrosionjerry

Use that common HomeDepot stuff. A couple different methods. When dry, paint it. Or when it's still nice and wet cover it with your preference. Common moss shredded nice and fine works great when sprinkled on the tacky foam.

Edited by ckmullin

Great Stuff actually does sell a pond and stone spray foam that is black. I think I saw it online at Home Hardware. Also, I picked up a can at RONA in their pond section quite a while back, made by Beckett. It was pretty expensive compared to the regular stuff though. Best bet if you can't find the black stuff is to spray it on, and then when its dry cover it in black silicone and then press in cocoa fibre. That's pretty much the standard method that I'm sure you were going to be trying.

Edited by DJay

• 2 weeks later...

Having never used spray foam before I am wondering if it is safe for the fish? I also see the suggestion to paint it, what kind of paint should one use in an aquarium?

There is expanding foam for ponds. You can buy some at Pices. Another method is to cut and silicone (as the glue) construction foam, you can then paint it with Drylok, which Canadian Tire can order in. I had them do it for me and still have an unused can. The drylok can be mixed with different concrete paint colors. I've seen some pretty cool backgrounds done in that method.