Melanotaenia Splendida Splendida " Deepwater Creek"

Rainbowric

Well it has been a long time waiting for this species. It will be interesting to see if I get many replies on this thread!

Just over a year ago I was bugging geleen to breed more then just a couple dozen fish at a time. I explained to him that they do raise up much nicer if you have a larger group of fry to work with. I was suggesting 50 or 60 of them, not 150 of them! A few of us out there has raised that many fish of one species and have experienced horror of trying to find homes for them all. Anyway I helped geleen out and we sold 6 packs here in Calgary and geleen in Edmonton, and on AA here of unsexed fish. I sent another 20 or so down east to some breeders in addition to selling many here in Calgary, oh and must not forget Jayba in Red Deer. Many still hit the auctions and we were successfull in getting them out of John's and my tanks and into some homes. Below is a link to the first ad on AA that geleen placed when trying to find homes for all these fish ....

"geleen's AA ad"

This is a wonderful species of Rainbowfish, thought it was pretty much developed in 8 or 9 months but today at just over a year old, I believe there is still a lot of development to take place. They are close to 4 inches now and they still act and fool around like a 2 inch adolescent. They were producing lots of eggs when at 2 inches and were a lot of fun to breed! A good starter species for someone who would like to start breeding fish as they are so prolific. Even though you may not be interested in breeding as I am right now they do make quite the colorful display in a planted show tank. These ... like all bows love a planted tank, and it was only recently that I was able to get mine out of a grow out and into a planted tank.

Melanotaenia splendida splendida "Deepwater Creek" at just over a year old!

M_splendida_splendida_DW_g_zps51d4e104.j

There is a number of different species or strains under the M. splendida splendida .... they list another under the International Rainbowfish Group as M. splendida splendida "Kuranda" and I see another being posted on the North American Rainbowfish Forum as M. splendida splendida "Boyne River" ... and I am sure like the M. trifasciata over in Australia there is probably 50 or 60 different variations of this species M. splendida splendida. Of all my favorite is the "Deepwater Creek"

M_splendida_splendida_DW_f_zps849217c9.j

Quite a submissive fish as I have 3 pairs of them in one tank and none appear to have any torn fins or wounds on them after well over a month in this new tank.

M_splendida_splendida_DW_h_zps5a312621.j

It is difficult to get a pic of them in a flare as they are so submissive.

M_splendida_splendida_DW_d_zpsaf4ac048.j

Usually when I approch the tank with a camera they appear to think that I might have some food for them and they start bouncing up and down like a dog begging for a treat.

M_splendida_splendida_DW_j_zps0aecf4c2.j

Hope you have enjoyed these pics ....

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric

As usual Rick; you captured them perfectly. It is for sure one of my favourites.

When mature the male gets that classical rainbowfish profile with a deep body. As shown in the pictures the dorsal and anal fins on the male are long and flowing. The vibrant red fins are beautiful

John

As usual Rick; you captured them perfectly. It is for sure one of my favourites.

When mature the male gets that classical rainbowfish profile with a deep body. As shown in the pictures the dorsal and anal fins on the male are long and flowing. The vibrant red fins are beautiful

John

Must be one of your favourites John ... why else would you breed a bunch greater then 150 ... but then it must be a nice fish for you being able to find homes for them all. :)

aye, awesome shots ;) The females also seem to have a decent amount of colour especially for rainbows ;)

cheers,

Antonio

You are absolutely correct Antonio! I usually try to post a picture of the female .... especially since this species is quite nice .... a little less fin, and a little less red!

M_splendida_splendida_DW_J_zps5f3b16cc.j

Oh and BTW ....

John is totally responsible for bringing this species into Alberta (I saw him get them from Gary Lange).... and I believe since I have shipped a number down east to some established breeders who had never seen them before, probably for bringing them into Canada!

Cheers

Rick