My 230 Gallon Tank

lemonaidjay

To answer a question with a question. What purpose do you want that 2nd sump to serve aside from adding more water to the system?

I was thinking that a 60 gallon sump was not enough for a 230 gallon tank so I am trying to gain better filtration and more water . The main tank is also filtered with an FX5. I do weekly min 50% water changes as well .

lil ol me thinks your doing fine as is. If your water isn't clear clear with what you already have I can see suspended solids being the reason. All that fish power and poop power no matter what you do in a closed loop system nothing will give more clarity. There will always be poop and stuff generated in the water as it gets filtered out...especially with a heavy stocked tank.

just my 2c

They say a sukp should be around 1/3 the volume of the main tank, so if that were your only source of filtration, adding another would seem beneficial. However, the FX5 is a beast - especially with an internal modification. If you want clearer water, throw an HOT Magnum with a polishing cartridge on the sump.

If you do want to add more fish, then you should also add volume. Your artwork seems like a decent idea as long as you won't need to access the bottom sump. Using filter socks in the first chamber may also help; but, that's going to mean swappimg them out almost daily.

• 2 weeks later...