First Saltwater

Ron

Out of curiousity what clams are you planning on keeping? Crocea and maxima are harder to get into Canada now (or atleast much more expensive). Government is worried about them bringing Perkinsus into Canada. If you clam happens to contact it you're actually required by law to report it to CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency).

See:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/perkinsus-marinus/fact-sheet/eng/1362690064366/1362690181750

I will probably get a variety of crocea, squamosa but mostly maxima. I have a buddy with contacts in countries with agreements with Canada for export/import, CITES and CFIA approval should only be a waiting game.

Got my tank and my sump today.

70 gallon (40" x 20" x 20") DT, 3 sides Starphire, one piece Starphire eurobrace, CNC black acrylic background, transparent silicone and black vinyl bottom.

55 gallon (36" x 22" x 16") custom sump.

I got home and got to plumbing it.

Overflow_zps6d4b1358.jpg

Overflow2_zps7bd0abc2.jpg

Herbie

Overflow3_zps194a338b.jpg

Pretty simple underneath

Plumbing3_zpsd75723db.jpg

I haven't cleaned it yet but here is a FTS

Tank_zpsf10f3fc6.jpg

Big thanks to the guys at Concept Aquariums, they definitely made emptying my wallet seem like it was the right thing to do....LOL.

Bigger thanks to my wife who helped me get the tank downstairs so I could start working on it.

Next I'll clean up the sump and get the reactors plumbed in, hopefully wet before the Super Bowl is over.

Thanks,

Ron

Looks sharp.

Thanks.

Nice Ron!

Any coral plans?

Thanks. Not sure, have to look into them soon, any suggestions? I think because of the clams I am planning it will end up being a LN to ULN system.

Here is a pic of with the drain pipes, I like the bigger stand so I can slide my sump back and have the drain pipes come straight down without any elbows. I was planning to put the main drain valve above the union but I rushed the last couple connections and screwed it up. I was seriously considering hacking it off but them I would have to get another bulkhead and use up another union and valve.

Overflow4_zpsdfacb0f4.jpg

I prefer the look of CNC'd teeth

CNCOverflow_zps02f156f6.jpg

I really like the transparent silicone, pic to compare to unsiliconed eurobrace

TransparentSilicone_zps76b0a7eb.jpg

Thanks,

Ron

Well I got the sump cleaned up and hooked up to fill up the system.

Tank2_zpscd5236cd.jpg

Found a couple leaks, one was the emergency drain. I thought it might be a problem joining the bulkhead, which I think is ABS, to the PVC. The other was a very small leak on one of the returns. The system ran for a couple hours and there wasn't enough built up to flow off of the elbow.

So I've drained the system, I'll fix the leaks and move it into it's place. Almost time to fill it up with RO/DI water and get salty.

Thanks,

Ron

Well I hooked up my second reactor. I went with NextReef as I don't trust TLF reactors not to leak. For the extra $40 per reactor, it was an easy decision to upgrade to these. They will look funny with the less than cup of media that will go in each.

Reactors_zps49cb66d2.jpg

Concept's got my skimmer in today so I rushed on over so I could get it home and give it a bath.

Skimmer_zpsedb48782.jpg

I guess next I will get my water to temp and add salt.

Thanks for sticking around.

Ron

Edited by Ron

Good morning Ron!

I've been following your new venture into salt water...just wondering what's happening these days...it's been great to watch the progression!

J

Thanks for following along.

Tank is salty and I got my first frags today. Here is a pic of the tank last night

Tank3_zps79bc9ae1.jpg

I got LPS frags today, gold hammer, green and pink frogspawn and Duncan.

I cycled and cured my rock for the last month in bins. As you can see in the pic, used much less in the display than I have and I have another 4 pieces still in the bin.

Going bare bottom, I want to have less places any pyramid snails can hide.

Edited by Ron

• 3 weeks later...