First Saltwater

Ron

Hello,

In December I got the idea to try my first saltwater tank and gear it towards clams. I went to Concept Aquariums on Boxing day and they gave me a great run down on what I would need but also what options I had to upgrade. I am a pretty easy sell and I chose to upgrade myself on a lot of the items. I originally went in with the intention of buying a 90 gallon RR tank they had on special and ended up with a 70 gallon Starphire tank with a one piece eurobrace.

I should be picking up my tank and sump this weekend so I thought I would start off my journal with the gear I have.

Here is a shot of my 48"W x 26"D x 32"T stand.

Stand1_zps46426369.jpg

I got antsy so I put my manifold together and attached it, I sure hope my calcs are right on the location...LOL

Plumbing2_zpsb12381b3.jpg

Plumbing1_zps540ad7f6.jpg

That's about all I got for now, I'll cover all the details of my gear as it get's flanged up.

Thanks for looking and wish me luck.

Ron

Looks nice, I'm sure it will come together well. $$$ though!! :)

Thanks. It sure costs a lot more than FW, I wanted to build a 450 - 600 gallon Arowana tank but I didn't think I could afford it so I went this route....I think this SW tank will end up more expensive.

I might have to do the same then. I've searched all over in town and anyone who has a gate valve wants an arm and a leg and a kidney for them.

What is the stocking plan? 100% clams? What about filtration? Lights? C'mon. Details :) or is it all very :ph43r: ?

They are ~$10 USD but after shipping and other landed charges, paying Concept's price isn't very much more.

Mostly clams but I'll have a couple fish and some coral but I am undecided at the moment. I have a 55 gallon custom sump and I am still deciding on lighting. I am leaning towards an ATI hybrid but Dave got my curiousity going on plasma.

You are gonna be so broke ;)

Gonna be.......already am, LOL.

This is the one of two things I've ever gotten for myself out of my bonuses so I don't feel too guilty but this set up has already cost more than my first car and I still need a controller, lights and livestock .

That stand is so nice!!!

Thanks. Pretty standard stand with plywood that was sealed, painted and sealed again. Once I get everything running I'll get it skinned.

I loved the AI Sols LED lighting and my clams did very well under them.

Thanks for the suggestion. After seeing Dave's tank in his office at Concept Aquarium, the ATI hybrid is at the top of my list. I've heard commercially available plama lights should be out soon and I won't need lights for quite a while so I have some time to decide.

Out of curiousity what clams are you planning on keeping? Crocea and maxima are harder to get into Canada now (or atleast much more expensive). Government is worried about them bringing Perkinsus into Canada. If you clam happens to contact it you're actually required by law to report it to CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency).
See:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/perkinsus-marinus/fact-sheet/eng/1362690064366/1362690181750