Apistogramma Honsloi Sluggish And Spitting Out Food

DougAdel

So, just as the title reads my Apistogramma Hongsloi is very sluggish. He can barely get up off the floor. He usually comes up to the top to eat, but was struggling quite hard today. He also looks as if he is breathing very heavily. He was just fine yesterday when I was doing the feeding. When I went to feed him today he struggled his way up to the top only to spit out the couple of flakes he took in.

I assume all water params are fine, but I didn't test because I noticed this right after a water change. I can do a couple tests when I get home, but no one else was acting weird. Nitrates may have been a little high as it was water change day.

I also noticed what looked to be a fungus spot on a rasbora so I treated the tank with Pimafix (Primafix?).

The Apistogramma was lively a couple days ago (as he usually is) so I'm not entirely sure what happened. No other symptoms to report.

The tank is a little overcrowded as a result of having to combine 2 tanks, but everyone gets along just fine in there. It's 33 gal with an Angel, 2 Bolivian Rams, a Bristlenose Pleco, 6 Harlequin Rasboras and the Apisto (I know I know I know). Tons of driftwood and a couple of big plants. Moderate lighting.

The tanks were combined back in December and the Rams were put into the current tank. I've never seen a negative interaction between any of the cichlids (except the occasional chase between the Rams). I had the Apisto for a month or 2 before that. He came through this site off of someone who was shutting down his tank. The previous owner did mention that he was a little older.

So, any suggestions?

Old age could be the factor, and the WC could have been what caused the symptoms. Even though the fish are going from OK to great conditions with a WC, sometimes it's best to make it more gradual... like OK --> Good --> optimal. If you're inclined to do large WCs, it's best to make sure they're frequent, so that the actual chemistry doesn't change a lot.

Thanks Jvision. It was a bit larger of a PWC than I usually do, but still less than 50% I'll keep that in mind from now on though.

The poor guys is trying really hard to get up to the top to grab some flakes, but he gets 1, slinks back down and spits it out. He's sitting with a bit of a curved spine on the gravel and with his troubles swimming I'm beginning to suspect it might be a swim bladder issue. I've read a couple of tips to try and help the poor guy out, but he didn't even look at the shelled peas I put in (to help with potential constipation issues). Some forums have recommended "salt baths", but I'm not entirely sure this is a real thing and not just old fish keeper lore.

Anyone out there have ideas?

I had tried API General Cure as a member here had suggested Praziquantel might help if it was fluke related. With no success there the little guy has just gotten worse. He can no longer physically swim to the top to at least try and get food. He can't swim straight and he is breathing quite heavily in an almost U shape on the gravel.

Is it time to euthanize him? He looks like he is in a lot of distress. I don't want him to suffer. He's been a favourite of mine for some time now :(