Couldn't Find A Suitable Section For This Question...

Senroc

But the pond section seemed as good as any. I was thinking of doing something a little different for my next tank. I've had fresh water (currently running a 70gal Cichlid tank) and I've had salt water tanks, so I thought I'd try a small terrarium style tank for a change. I have a 30gal tank that I was thinking of putting some small fish, perhaps guppies or something along that nature, and newts. I had them once when I was a kid and they were cool but I didn't have a proper set up for them. So I thought I'd try them again so I'm wondering if anyone is raising any that could pass along some tips. Even just where to get them in Calgary would be helpful.

Most newts common in the hobby are fully aquatic won't really venture out on land. Firebelly Toads are quite popular, and love both water and land... just an idea if you're looking for an animal that will be a part of both sections of the tank.

That being said, I once had a tank that housed a school of white cloud minnows in about 4" of water. About 2/3 of the tank footprint was piled with lava rock about 7" deep. I had a couple potted Ivy & Pothos, where the bottom of the pot just just out of the water. The water was filtered with an Ehiem canister and the spraybar was aimed at the rocks closest to the 'shoar'. There I grew lots of Java fern - yes, the Java fern was out of the water, but was constantly wet. I got the idea from an old TFH article I read that had a pic of Java fern growing on the jungle floor - it was a thick carpet!

A trio of Green Anoles lived on the land part. I had branches wedged across the tank and wound the vines around them.

The last FB toad tank I had for my kids, I used PVC pipe to hold up an eggcrate "land area". I just put smooth river rocks over the eggcrate for something solid for the toads to live on. I also had another piece of eggcrate as a ramp, that I just glued Java moss to. It was quick and simple.

But the pond section seemed as good as any. I was thinking of doing something a little different for my next tank. I've had fresh water (currently running a 70gal Cichlid tank) and I've had salt water tanks, so I thought I'd try a small terrarium style tank for a change. I have a 30gal tank that I was thinking of putting some small fish, perhaps guppies or something along that nature, and newts. I had them once when I was a kid and they were cool but I didn't have a proper set up for them. So I thought I'd try them again so I'm wondering if anyone is raising any that could pass along some tips. Even just where to get them in Calgary would be helpful.

There's been some pretty rad newts on Kijiji from time to time. Even free at times. I think it sounds like you're going for a riparium/vivarium - and that's a brilliant plan. There's some Red Claw crabs always at PetSmart that would LOVE for you to save them. White clouds, endlers, and least killifish would be awesome additions IMO.

Yes vivarium...that's the word I was trying to think of last night..lol. Thanks. I'll have to do some research as to how to set one up properly. Killifish are cool and I've had them before so that would be an neat option. It would also be neat to have some crabs but not sure how they'd mix with a newt.