New Aquariums Owner From Calgary

bigbadboss101

3 weeks ago we picked up a used 25 gal aquarium with fish. We lost some of them during the transport because it was very cold out and the previous owner removed 60% of the water from the tank. Since then we have cycled and stocked our tank with neons, platties, and corys. We then picked up a 60 gal tank. We are in the process of a fish cycle. We have 6 balloon mollies, 4 male guppies, 2 plecos and 3 clown loach. Some suggested we sell the loaches because they get really large and do well in school of 4 or more. Water test have been reading the same for both tanks, 0.25 ppm ammonia and near zero nitrite. Anyways lot to learn and looking forward to a long term fish enthusist.

I am in Calgary and usually go to Pisces. Will talk to some of you and may be some other owners in Calgary

Welcome! - your clowns will do wonderfully well in your 60g once it is cycled. You will find a wealth of knowledge on these sites, plus wonderful prices. Consider joining the Calgary Aquarium Society as well, there are monthly auctions of fish and plants at very very reasonable prices and informative lectures.

Nancy

Just bear in mind that clowns like their water a bit warmer, so aim for 78º-80ºF, and add an airstone, just to ensure that you have plenty of dissolved oxygen. If you would like a slightly larger school of clown loaches, Gold Aquarium usually has lots of nice ones for a great price, and as the loaches outgrow the tank, you can always sell or trade them in, and get a new, young school (I do this myself)....there is plenty of demand for 5"+ clown loaches.

I will have to look up Golds. I have pump and airstones here but haven't put them in. The AC110 create a strong flow for the other fish sometimes I think they are getting dizzy.

Good to know people will take large clown loaches. At Pisces they have a couple jumbo ones. No idea how long, might be close to a foot.