Stupid Me, Fish And Dogs Don't Mix

JayWho

I think that for some people this would be a no-brainer, but I had to learn the hard way...

I went to Big Al's last night to buy some Clown Loaches and ended up picking up 5. My cousin came with me, and I brought the dogs, as I always do.

We stopped at Home Depot on the way back so I could get the measurements of something, and stupid me left the fish in the car with the dogs, thinking they would probably be ok.

We were in the store for maybe 5 minutes and came back out and one of the dogs had pulled the fish out of the store bag, ripped open the outside bag and punctured the inside bag that the loaches were in, which had drained all over my back seat, and the loaches were suffocating and being stepped on by the dogs. Big Al's was closed, as we were one of the last customers at closing time.

So, my cousin attempts to pile the fish into the remaining drops of water in the bag while I speed to the closest store (Tim Horton's) to get a bottle of water, because it's all I could think of at the moment. I run into what was one of the slowest and most frustrating line up experiences EVER, the teenager ahead of me stumbling through everything he was ordering until I spurt out that I just need a bottle of water while he's paying. I asked if they had a non-refrigerated bottle, but they didn't, so it had to do.

I poured some of it out, gave it a good shake and put it on the defrost vent on full to try and warm it up, because it was COLD. It was also de-ionized water, which I wasn't sure if it was ok for fish, but didn't care at this point, as I was more worried about breathing... At least, I hoped, it would be chlorine-free.

It didn't seem to be warming up very much at all, so I just said "F--- it. They're dying." and poured some water in the corner of the bag my cousin had the fish in. He's holding it in his hands, trying to warm the water up and monitoring the fish ("One's definitely still alive" :cry: ) while I'm speeding home to the west end from the south side.

I got home, parked and took the loaches from my cousin, ran up to my apartment, used scissors to cut the corner of the bag they were in off into a small plastic container, put some aquarium water in there and crossed my fingers... It had been about 15-20 minutes since we were at Home Depot.

There was one that seemed to be dead the whole time - I'm thinking it got stepped on by my larger dog when she was shooed into the backseat where the fish had already been dragged to by the smaller dog. The other 4 are alive and seem to be doing well - they even ate this morning. So that's good.

New addition to the car is a sealable, dog-proof container.

Now priority is on getting my 80 gallon tank resealed and setup so I can apologize by moving them into it... lol

Poor little traumatized fish... Welcome home?