Suicidal Bn Plecos

Guppygirl

Has anyone ever had suicidal bn plecos?

I bought 3 1" bn at the auction on Sunday. They were healthy and active. Yesterday night noticed that I could only see 1. They are in a 10 gallon tank with some ember tetras with some hiding spots, flipped all them over-no bn-where were they. One guess-- the filter, there were 2 in the filter-one dead the other playing chicken with the impeller. Fished him/her out and back into the tank with the other one. I even put a sponge on the filter intake. The water level is a good 1+ below the water outtake. One ugly guess what happen in the night the other two decided to do the same thing and with the same results this morning. One dead and the other playing chicken. So now down to one. I am sad. :cry: :cry: I have raised over 100+ bn before and never had any do the filter suicide-what is up with these 3? :eh: :well: :well: I didn't realize that bn could jump?

The sole survivor is now living in a plastic breeder until I can figure out how to keep him out of the filter, maybe a piece of plastic mesh across the outflow so it can't get into the filter????

• 1 month later...

I've found they will jump when new to a tank but seem okay once settled in. As for filters, I'm forever kicking them out of ACs but no casualties...

• 4 weeks later...

can't say I have ever had any Plecos go for the ride into my AC 110s, but have found guppies galor in them, one I used to keep those. weird, what's your flow rate like in the tank, maybe if you add a powerhead down at the bottom of the tank, maybe they will stop going into the filter.