Pregnant Guppy?

GalenGrey

So, she keeps faking me out. She'll sit still a lot and have a little black spot...but then nothing. However, she might be starting to plump up a bit? Anyone feel like giving an opinion on whether she's pregnant or not? I should maybe post this in the breeding failure topic since there's something wrong if I struggle to breed guppies, haha.

post-6490-0-96726300-1397567104_thumb.jpg

post-6490-0-97987200-1397567127_thumb.jpg

I'd say she's gravid, but not close to dropping fry. When she's ready to birth, her abdomen will square out a bit.

agree, she's definitely not near dropping off cargo :) As Jason put it they square off much more towards the back the closer they get. Another good idea is a top down view...some of my tanks are on the lower rack and I swear sometimes the females must be close to exploding due to their size.

cheers,

Tigs

PS, also be sure to check her 'before' a feeding, so that you know it's not a huge belly simply due to eating a lot of food as guppies are little piggies.

I'd have to agree with the above. The female looks at least 3 weeks away from having a drop.

There are two types of Females, (more then that, but in this case 2) One who will have babies all at once, and one whom will have them at 3-4 week intervals. The ones whom have them all at once will have the larger batches of fry dropped and when she is done she will look so skinny, she will look sick. But the one whom drops periodically even after her drop will not look to far off from what your pictured female looks like.

I have two females, that even after a large drop of 65+ still end up looking around the same as your pictured female.

All females, when in presence of a virile male are pregnant, and even once separated can continually drop fry from the male for anywhere from 3 - 5 months later thus why in breeding, it is best to separate as soon as genders begin to appear. As all fry are Asexual during the growing period. (around 2-3 months).

Most females will, like mentioned above. Square off when looked at from above. and will look as tho she is ready to burst. As in, you dont think its even possible for her to get any larger.

Below is a female 4 days after a full drop

yreEXYU.jpg

and this one is the 65+ drop and still looked liked yours after that. This picture was 5 days before drop

pOKN9bB.jpg

Hope this helps.

I just had 3 that dropped babies on me and none were that big yet. Maybe they were spooked by the water change I did and let them out early? They were all about the same as the one in this post. I have about 50 babies from the 3, but they were all small mothers.

Well, I added two more females to divert some attention and give them all a little breathing room. It seems like she's bigger every day but still no where near the images above. Thanks for all the opinions! It'll be interesting to see how this goes.