Tank For Malawi Cichlids

Sonikphyr

Hi Everyone.

I was looking at getting a new tank and would like to know your opinion on whether Malawi Cichlids prefer a long skinny tank (46x16x20) or a shorter fatter tank(36x20x24).

I have a somewhat small space to get a tank into measuring 47 1/4" across. I am most likely looking at a custom tank to fit into there.

Thank you.

Even if you stick with just mbuna, which tend to stay smaller then peacocks and haps, I'd still recommend a 4' tank and just have it as wide as possible with lots of rock work.

Yes, this would be specifically for mbunas. I am mainly concerned about weight as I cannot see how the flooring was structured in the developed basement. I would assume the wider and deeper the tank the better the distribution of weight. I figure about 1000pounds all in for the water, aquarium, rock, stand and filter. The only downside with a custom 46" tank as I cannot get a 4' tank in there is that I need to be creative with lighting and a cover.

And, yes, I am planning a large rock mound. Just researching hardscapes right now. Thinking 2/3 rocks and 1/3 sand for the bottom. 2/3 of tank height will be the rock mound.

For cichlids you want maximum surface area. The more floor territory the better. Aquarium height is less important.

I agree max surface area works for mbuna.

I'm lucky my mbuna tank in basement with lotsa room

84"x24"x18" with an 120gal sump. With 3 large rock piles across tank. I'd do the 46" long tank. 16" wide little yo narrow for me but will work