Frontosa Holding

Cap'n

Just noticedlast night that my sub female is holding. First time dealing with breeding Frontosa.

- how can I tell how far along / how long she has been holding?

- should I purchase or build an egg tumbler and install in main tank or wait as long as I can and strip and put fry in holding tank?

- holding tank is small (10g cube) Can I attempt to put 5" female in there until she releases? Not my preferred choice, but I don't want to risk losing fry to compressiceps in main tank

Thanks to any and all advice. Look forward to hearing others experience.

Congrats!!

If you want her to hold stress free...move her to a tank of her own, but that 10G cube isn't totally ideal, IMO.

The longer she holds, the larger the soft part of her "chin" will become...and you'll be able to see the fry chillin' in her mouth when she faces you...it's cool. As I recall Frontosa eggs are large...so if you go the tumbler route, you'll be able to get a good view of their progress.

If they're already hatched, you can strip her and put the fry into the fry tank. Only offer food to the frying their yolk sac is almost completely gone.

And they're out! 14 healthy little fronts. Two days after I moved the female to the holding tank they appeared. She's back in the main tank where she got a well deserved big meal and the fry are eating ground up NLS

Can't believe how big these guys are now. Grabbing food from the surface and finding hiding spots in the rocks and plants.

I have one smaller, darker, thinner fry. Not as active or responsive as the rest. Do I cull it now?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If they're fertilized, you can take them anytime. If this is her first time spawning you may want to leave then with her to help her learn how to brood them. There's a higher chance of a new mom swallowing the eggs, but if you always strip the eggs she'll never learn. But, if your goal is production of fish and profit, then that might be what you need to do.