FISHLIPS

Not Sure Where To Post This

FISHLIPS   

we recently installed a whole house water filtering system to fight off discoloring of water etc from alkalinity/tanin,so my question is....how do i remove tanin/discoloring in a fresh water tank?

jvision   

Carbon is what you'll need. If I'm going to use it, I buy it in bulk from Trident Pets (at the corner where Mayfield turns into 111ave, next to Princess Auto). In a canister, I just put it in one of the media baskets with a layer of filter floss at the bottom and top of the basket.

Carbon has to be changed regularly; once it's absorbed all it can, it'll start leaching that stuff back into the water. I seem to remember that there's a way to recharge it, but I just throw it out and replace with new stuff.

FISHLIPS   

It's been 12 hrs with a 100ml pack og PURIGEN in my eheim 2217 and there isn't a noticeable difference yet.....how long should i expect to wait on 95gallons?

ckmullin   

Look at the purigen is it now discolored from it's fresh white color? If it looks darker it is working. I've used this for experiements with a 20 gal with high tannins and overnight there was a large difference. For 95 gal, just more time.

ckmullin   

glad to hear

Another tip: If you have fine particles in the tank and which to remove and have a HOB filter grab a sheet of paper towel and fold it over once across the filter pad. Change the paper towel up as you see it gets dark. Works like a charm.