Corydoras, Eggs, Fry And A Rainbow!

flash_oesc

I have a bunch of corydoras hanging out in my 29G, and thought it was my orange venezualans that were doing the deed...but as the fry are growing out, it appears I was mistaken, and it's my 'assorted' corydoras that were breeding. Pet store called them assorted, I think they are peppered, any corydoras experts want to ID mom and Dad for me?

2_zpsc9852f36.jpgAssuming these are my males.

1_zps7540a867.jpgMy female I'm assuming

3_zpse272f02c.jpgArtwork

I found the eggs on Mother's Day, scraped and saved as many as I could. Hatched out over 90%. Only had a few die (not sure why), but most are growing, and quickly. I had asked a friend for moss, and he gave me some - a few days later...I hatch out his rainbowfish fry. corydoras_zps02672670.jpg

So now I'm growing out a bunch of corydoras and about 6 rainbowfish fry. Pretty neat to see them grow, feeding everyone hikari first bites for now, seems to be working well. Corydoras are reaching over a CM already, not even a month in. First time trying to raise fry from eggs, only ever done it with mouth brooding cichlids, which is pretty easy...don't let the fry get eaten :)

Yes they are peppered corys (corydora paleatus). It is so fun to discover eggs and then have them hatch and survive. Good luck with your little ones. Very nice adults.

:)

Thank you! It's weird, the one in the solo pic is 2-3X bigger than the other 2, I got them all at the same time. Am I correct assuming the big one is my female?

Picture from today. I've been experiencing mass die off, and I think I had a mini cycle run through. Seem to have got it under control, and still have 40+ fry who are ACTIVELY hunting food. This has been so neat. Also, I have a sponge filter in my cannister of my 75 now, just incase I get more surprises...I was not prepared for these...

June5_zpsc964e217.jpg

Congrats! What kind of rainbow is it?

I have found that checking the nitrAtes when feeding that many fry is a good idea as it can elevate quickly and could be a cause of them dying.

J

Dwarf neon rainbows I believe. I have 4 of them that hang out near the top of the tank, above the moss. I do daily/every other day changes to try and keep the nitrates down, also added some floating plants for shelter/nitrates.

Question for any corydora pros out there. This tank had 3 venzualan orange, 3 peppered, 1 sterbai corydora. I thought they were my oranges that bred...then the fry started growing and I thought it was my peppered. Now as they grow more, I'm confused.

My last 3 pictures in this topic: the first looks like a mix of the two, the second looks like my orange and the last looks like my peppered.

Can those two species interbreed? MY fry tank seems to have a mix of peppered, venezualan, and a few that look like a mix. The other option is that two groups spawned at the same time, and I collected all the eggs and put them together, or the third option, They are all the same, and I know jack about corydoras...

Thoughts?

Hybridization can happen with most species, unsure if that happened here. I would say option 2 more likely as once one group spawns everyone else wants in on the action, as long as you have males and females of each species, they will more likely stay with their own group for breeding lol. Once they get a bit older time will reveal what they really are.

Hybridization can happen with most species, unsure if that happened here. I would say option 2 more likely as once one group spawns everyone else wants in on the action, as long as you have males and females of each species, they will more likely stay with their own group for breeding lol. Once they get a bit older time will reveal what they really are.

I'm so impatient...lol I just want to have all the grownups, and feed them pellets instead of powder...

I'm sure I have males and females of both species in question, as I've seen fry from both breeding trios. Not sure what ratio I have, but at least one of each :)

Thank you for the input!