Filters?

Labman

I have my one 50 gal, working well with the old A.Q. 70 and a sponge in one corner, numbers are for NH2 and 3 are stabil and in the good range.

I'm about to set up another 55, from a member here, I am toying with the idea of a different filter set-up, any suggestions?

Past experiences both good/bad, would be appreciated please.

Best place to purchase in the Edmonton area would help also.

Thanks everyone;

Mark

It's hard to beat AquaClears and sponges for simplicity, but if you want silence, go with a canister. Rena are decent quality for a lowish price. I love Ehiem classics.

The Rena's are sort of responsible for my questions.

I received an email from Big Al's, they are on sale next week, it seems.

In terms of ease of maintenance, which is more user freindly?

Prices seem comparable. All else equal, Ehiem do a better job?

I have a Rena XP2 that I initially ran on a 40 gallon saltwater tank for 5-6 years, and am now running on a 55 gallon freshwater (going on 9+ months now).

Will be moving it to the 110 gallon setup once it's ready as well.

I've never had any problems with it, other than wanting more flow (just means I should upgrade). It can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Edited by JayWho

They have a Rena "Filstar XP-S", includes all media, hoses and acc., whatever that would be, is this similar to the Rena XP2?

The flow would be okay for the 55gal, with an ever increasing amount of foliage?

This is what I have in mind for the tank, lots of plants, 2 pr. of Angels and as many cory's and loaches as I can find.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/filstar-canister-filter-xp-s.html

It says it's good up to 45 gallons, and pumps 250gph (not sure if that's before or after media).

From what I've found on the XP2, it's good up to 75 gallons and with media pumps ~150gph. (I also run a powerhead on a large sponge filter, and a second powerhead on a small coarse sponge at opposite ends of the tank - so it's not my only filtration)

I'd say a larger model couldn't hurt, but it's not necessarily needed either.

I bought an XL version or the XP4 as previously known. Now that API is selling these they are cheaping out on components and quality. They removed the spray bar in favor of a single outlet and the plastic clips on the sides have a real cheap feel to them. Personally for a 55g you can get an Eheim that will work quite well. (I also have an xp2 on a 55g, works like a champ)

I have several different filters set ups. I have sponges, hang on the back and canisters. I prefer my canisters. I have fluval and eheim. I prefer eheim. As far as i'm concerned, eheim classics are power houses, work great...etc. I got mine at petsandponds.com great prices, fast shipping. Come with all media, disconnects and spray bars. My 55 has a classic 2215 eheim and a sponge filter in it. My 75 has the 2217 and a fluval 205.