Diy Spray Bar For Fluval Fx5 And Intake

KimW

So I was wondering if anyone has had any DIY experience with this? What I am thinking of doing is modding up some PVC pipe to make my own spray bar for the FX5 as I do not see anything currently available after-market or otherwise for this type of filter.

I am also thinking of modifying the intake so as to not decrease the amount of water going in but to decrease the amount of suction going in on the overall. Ie. stop sucking my little fishies in.

If anyone can let me know what if any experience you have had with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Example of what I am considering for modifying to make my own spray bar.

Materials would be 3/4" PVC Pipe ( Hopefully in Black )

Holes would be approx 3/8" and spaced about 1 1/2" apart

FilterModSprayBar_zps2e9a4a16.jpg

Example of what I am considering for modifying the intake

Again would be with 3/4" PVC

I would use 2 of the sponges stacked on top of each other

Filtermodintake_zpsb4344c02.jpg

Does anyone foresee any problems with any of this. I do not want to damage my filter.

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but have never gotten around to it. There is plenty of posts on other forums about the spray bar, and based on what I've seen it looks good. The sponge intake worries me a bit and you might need to use coarser sponges to get enough flow through them.

Edited by Jaykit

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but have never gotten around to it. There is plenty of posts on other forums about the spray bar, and based on what I've seen it looks good. The sponge intake worries me a bit and you might need to use coarser sponges to get enough flow through them.

That was my concern. I don't want to damage the filter or alter the flow I just need to have the amount of current coming in to be drastically reduced. This frigging filter has sucked in a bunch of my smaller fish already and I need to stop it from doing that.

So you say coarser sponge? Where the heck would i find something that would work for this sort of set-up. Basically it will be acting as a pre-filter if I do mod it all up this way.

I almost wish I had the know how to build a sort of basket mesh system around the intake that wouldn't move at all when the filter is in-taking water. Something rigid but removable for cleaning sake.

Edited by KimW

Just wrap scratch pads around the filter intake and hold them with rubber bands. Big Al's has sponges in their pond section as well.

If you want to reduce the suction at the intake, use a 2" pipe with slots or holes cut in it. In my turtle tank (with guppies) I have 2 2" pipes T-ed together, then going to a 1" pipe into the canister.

On my Tropheus tank, the return has 3 3/4" outlets - first outlet is a T w ballvalve, 2nd is just a T, 3rd is a 90. The ballvalve off the 1st outlet keeps the flow across all 3 pretty even.

If you want to reduce the suction at the intake, use a 2" pipe with slots or holes cut in it. In my turtle tank (with guppies) I have 2 2" pipes T-ed together, then going to a 1" pipe into the canister.

On my Tropheus tank, the return has 3 3/4" outlets - first outlet is a T w ballvalve, 2nd is just a T, 3rd is a 90. The ballvalve off the 1st outlet keeps the flow across all 3 pretty even.

I was thinking of an option like that too. Do you have that tank planted?, and if so do you find you have problems with the plant matter gumming up the holes/slots, or your filter? (because this is the tank I am planting) That is part of the reason I wanted to do the sponges, so they act as almost a pre-filter for the filter.

I am thinking if I used sponges the way shown, that

1) it will prevent plant matter from gumming anything up

2) if a fish does for some reason get sucked towards it, it shouldn't harm them as much, if at all.

3) If I wind up with snails in the tank, it should keep them out of the filter. (Had a pile of pest snails in a smaller cannister filter a few years back and took forever for me to get rid of the lil buggers. LOL)

4) Possibly less filter changes due to a lot of "Junk" not getting into the filter in the first place

Here's a pic of the intake on the turtle tank

20140607_110646_zpsx3dfyrjr.jpg

I put in the T b/c w. just one intake, it did clog up with plants (when there used to be plants in there - the turtle has destroyed them all). With 2 intakes, there is no clogging.

Here're a couple pics of the output on the Tropheus tank

20140607_110620_zps24pl1fso.jpg

20140607_110547_zpshyivtocj.jpg

Make sure you use PVC and not ABS - ABS is not potable. If you want the pipe to be black, give it a quick scuffing with some fine-grit sandpaper and spray paint it. This is the return section of my turtle tank - all of that pipe was white. I used Krylon Fusion flat black

output_zpsl18uk4zq.jpg

Thank you so much for the pics, makes it a little easier to understand to see it like that!

Got everything I need for both modifications. I am having cheap sponges shipped to me to try on the intake, that way if it doesn't work i'm out like $5, and if it does work...awesome sauce! cheap pre-filter! I'm taking pics along the way so i can reference for myself if I want to change anything for any possible future mods or for hopefully another tank down the line :D a gal can dream right?

• 3 months later...

I built a return for my FX-5 about a year ago that looks just like your diagram. I drilled about twenty five holes in the four foot long return. Holes were about three sixteenths of an inch. I angled the pipe so the return was pointed towards the front of the tank instead of straight down. Lots of current in the 180 gallon tank and lots of surface agitation.

For the intake I glued together a cage out of egg crate that slid over the intake and then covered the cage with a piece of batting that I bought from a fabric store. The batting is just coarse enough to stop small fish from being sucked up, but it won't clog up quickly. I usually changed the batting about every three to four weeks. Doing this with the intake greatly extended the amount of time between filter cleanings!!

The batting comes on a roll about three feet wide and it is thin. It is very cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you T the intake? Put one intake on either side of your tank, back to a T that goes to the filter - then each side would only have 1/2 the suction, but the filter gets all the water it wants. The 2 pipes would need to be smaller diameter then the intake hose to restrict the flow on each and help to balance flow between the 2. Also a bit of a fail safe if one does gum up, the other continues to flow. Not my area of expertise, so if I am missing something, then someone in the know can jump in here...

I think there are many ways an intake manifold can be built. You may need a valve on the intake nearest the filter, or make that pipe smaller.