Betta Noob Here

zoopkamol

Hello all,

not new too hobby at all but I never attempted to keep a betta fish ever and now.....kid kinda asking for one for her birthday and i am totally unsure of minimal requirements for said fish.

can't trust interwebs at all as info is all over the place contradicting each other so I'll ask some pros (thats you guys)

I am a kinda go BIG or don't do it at all guy. Kid will be taught the best fish keeping skills i know. (water changes ect will be dealt with or fish gets added to my collection)

So basic questions are...

Tank size: minimal or max too.... for a single betta and few possible tank mates(small tetras)(ottos)(if applicable)

filter: sponge? HOB? circalation pump?

air stones? gravel/sand best (color)

lighting? decor?

heater? temp required

Not new but only want what is best for fish.

And I know there are a few bettaholics out there

Tank size: One gallon is the minimum amount for one betta, but you could never have tankmates and it's really just more work than it's worth when it comes to water changes. No maximum tank size, go as big as you want. You would set up a nice community in a ten gallon with tetras and ottos.

Filtration: Sponge filters are generally considered the best for bettas. They take care of the ammonia and don't produce a lot of flow, which is good for all bettas and especially for the long finned ones (lots of flow tends to lead to tail biting). Plus, sponges are cheap and easy.

Air stones are only needed if you like them. They're labyrinth breathers (use atmospheric oxygen) so they don't need any oxygenation.

Gravel and sand both work (so does bare bottom), color is up to you. Try to keep it darker, it displays the fish better IMO.

Lighting and decor depends on what you like and in the case of lighting whether or not you have plants. Make sure the decor isn't sharp at all (fins can and will rip). Live plants are the best, then silk.

Heaters are necessary, bettas are tropical fish from Thailand. A range of 76-86 is generally considered acceptable, with 78-80 being ideal. This might be a new concept considering they are usually seen in unheated bowls, but trust me... They do so much better.

There really isn't much else, they aren't difficult fish by any means (until you get into some of the wild species). Food shouldn't be hard, skip most of the betta pellets and go with something like new life spectrum betta formula or small fish, or omega one betta buffet.

• 2 weeks later...

Where am I on this.

Aquarium - 15 gallon

heater -50w ehiem

substrate -black sand

stand - overbuilt 2x4

Plants - on order

filter -sponge with whisper air pump (seeded) thanks sumps!!

temp -floating thermometer

light -18" florescent

decor -driftwood, silk plants

Fish - betta and pygmy cories (still need to buy once setup)

Am I missing anything crucial or general stuff?

• 4 weeks later...

Are you looking for a Cory that will be sociable ie out and about more for viewing? If so I'd swap the pygmy's for habrosus, they are only a little bigger but I've found them to be way less shy than pygmy's. Try for a group of 8-10 as they prefer a bigger school than their larger cousins