German Puffer Fish?

Tracyp

So I just saw some gorgeous looking puffer fish at Petland of all places, they were calling them German Puffers.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of them or has any experience with them as I'm thinking of dedicating a tank to a few of them. I know they are aggressive as the pet store was feeding them feeder goldfish so I'd be relocating my guppies for sure!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

I don't think there's any fish called a "german puffer" to my knowledge. I have a decent knowledge of puffers. Petland would likely only be carrying "green spotted puffers", "south american puffers", "figure 8 puffers" and "dwarf puffers". Try google imaging those names and see if those look right. If not, try describing it and I might be able to help.

Thank you, I think you're right because I can't find a thing on " German Puffers" I'm beginning to wonder if I read it wrong or maybe it's just a 'Petland special' lol.

Looking at pictures now and I think it was probably either a figure eight or a green spotted puffer it def. was not the south American or the dwarf. What are your experiences with the figure eight and or the green spotted puffers?

They both require brackish water. The GSP will need a full marine environment once adult. Don`t bother trying to keep them in a freshwater tank. They will get sick and die shortly. Puffers are a high maintenance group of fish that require special care regarding their diet. Most puffers are not well suited for sharing a tank either... I would not recommend them to anyone unless they were pretty experienced fish keepers and had the resources required to care for one properly.

This site is usually pretty decent with their puffer information in my opinion.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Biocellatus/

Thank you for your help!

Yea I think I'm going to have to wait a few years, they do sound more demanding then what I'm willing to dedicate to them, still a bit of a newbie :) I kind of figured they wouldn't be an easy fish it makes me wonder how many get bought up at the pet stores only to die a few months later :(