http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112041-The-Forum-s-Position-on-Discus-in-Planted-Tanks

This thread on simply Discus is amazing, lots of great information from people running successful tanks. Discus in a planted tank CAN be done and I intend on attempting this in the (hopefully near) future.

One piece of advice that i took from brewmasters post is that i need to learn the husbandry of both planted tanks and discus keeping. I have decided to convert the 230G to a fully planted soil substrate, and move all my plants/livestock from my current 50G into that tank.

I will utilize the 50G to raise a couple Discus in a BB tank and let the learning begin.

Hopefully I will be able to combine the two tanks and reach my goal.

• 1 month later...

Just to put my two cents in. I have a 50 Gal tank with 6 discus the oldest is 3 years old actually the first one I bought from the LFS. I have had Discus die on me but it wasn't really from sickness, it was more from bullying as I couldn't get my discus to the recommended 6 population fast enough. I had 3 for the longest time and of course, the 2 that mated picked on this poor one constantly and I had to seperate him from the pair. He lived all alone for a year to a year and half but because I really wanted to get 6 eventually, I put him back up to my main tank and the 2 started their bullying again. He was so stressed that he got sick and died.

This also happened to 2 more discus as I was buying them one by one. I finally figured I'd get them to 6 as fast as I can which I did. Now I have 6 discus and they are doing well, eating well and bullying is low. I change water every week, when my tank first got started I'd do it twice a week.

I do have a planted aquarium but as the other poster did mention some of my discus is showing stress bars but I don't think they are particularly not healthy. There will always be a runt among discus population specially if they are in a small number. One always gets picked on, I wish I had a bigger tank so I may add more discus but it's just not possible right now.

Along with my 6 Discus I have 9 rummynose tetras, 7 black neons, 2 bristlenose plecos, 2 plecostimo catfish and 3 clown loaches. Oh and 1 flying fox. I had 5 Siamese algae eaters there before also but I noticed they were too high strung for my discus so I gave them away. The SAEs were also a bit of fin nippers as one of my discus have long fins that looks like worms when he's still. They were great for algae though, but they were always chasing each other around in the the tank, stressing the discus out.

Also with clown loaches, love them, temperment is mild, eats anything that falls on the gravel but they dig up plants that the roots haven't gotten a good hold of yet. They eat snails though (my wife didn't like the snails) but they can pick up any small stone gravel with their mouth like a hand and deposit them to the side when they are digging up something they want to eat. I've almost given up trying to get a good carpet of grass gowing but I'll try again.

Also read a lot of simply discus posts before I started my tank 3 years ago, they have good advice there.