From Hard Edmonton Water To Soft Well Water

Baos

I've bought a lot of rare fish from wholesalers in Vancouver, which has extremely soft water. All I do is drip-aclimate them and they're fine. I imagine going the opposite way will work the same. You'll probably induce spawning behavior, too!

As in your well water isn't buffered? Or just the difference in pH between Edmonton and your new place?

If you're just worried about the difference between places, the drip acclamation should be fine.

If you're worried bc your well water has very poor buffering capacity, regular monitoring, large regular WCs or constant drip WC system will keep things in check. Also, you could add some coral, shells or limestone to the tank to increase buffering capacity, if you like. Regular monitoring should be done if you go this route so you know when a WC is needed to reset the pH and/or hardness, or when it's time to replace or add more.

As in your well water isn't buffered? Or just the difference in pH between Edmonton and your new place?

If you're just worried about the difference between places, the drip acclamation should be fine.

If you're worried bc your well water has very poor buffering capacity, regular monitoring, large regular WCs or constant drip WC system will keep things in check. Also, you could add some coral, shells or limestone to the tank to increase buffering capacity, if you like. Regular monitoring should be done if you go this route so you know when a WC is needed to reset the pH and/or hardness, or when it's time to replace or add more.

I think this is excellent advice. If your buffering is in question the constant drip will be your best friend. Most of your fish you mentioned prefer soft water anyways!

• 2 months later...

Bought a GH/KH kit today. GH tests at 3 drops, 3dKH or 53.7 ppm

KH tests at 52 drops, near as I can figure 52dKH and 930ppm

tds is 1520 ppm

I retested the 52 drops several times, it is 52.

Now, how do I get the ph down(especially due to toxic ammonia levels at ph 8.4 from the tap which reads 'slow death')

52 drops, that's crazy! I know it's a costly pain, but if not an RO machine, you can bring in bottled water, get a storage tank for city water which can be trucked in etc. I have a friend that lives near Calmar and the well water smells and tastes like petroleum. She uses it for washing but all the animals get bottled water.

Ian

ro may be a long term solution. for the moment I'm opting for Sodium Bisulfate(NaHSO4) instead of hydrochloric acid(HCl) which would make table salt (NaCl).

NaHCO3 + NaHSO4 --> Na2SO4 + H2O + CO2

at best, Na2SO4 could combine with Ca to become gypsum(beneficial)