Rainbow Compatability

Bruno

I've got the red lazers and they're quite small while the turquoise get pretty big, I'd worry the lazers would get out competed for food as they didn't seem to do well in my tank with skull creeks.

As far as compatibility with rams, I wouldn't see a problem unless the rams are breeding, even then I wouldn't worry too much based on my previous experience with rainbows and Bolivian rams.

Just make sure to de-worm the rams.

Most rainbows are veroucious eaters and so that can be a problem when you have too many of the larger bows. The smaller varieties should not be a problem A couple pair of Lacustrus should not be a problem as long as you watch that everyone gets food. The 3 inch M.macculocci (skull creek) is a top dweller and too many of them will out compete your rams but a few pairs should be okay. The lasers should be fine.

I have seen blue rams with the smaller varieties and they did well.

HTH

John

Most rainbows are veroucious eaters and so that can be a problem when you have too many of the larger bows. The smaller varieties should not be a problem A couple pair of Lacustrus should not be a problem as long as you watch that everyone gets food. The 3 inch M.macculocci (skull creek) is a top dweller and too many of them will out compete your rams but a few pairs should be okay. The lasers should be fine.

I have seen blue rams with the smaller varieties and they did well.

HTH

John

John hit the question pretty much right on ....even though he didn't say he ever had rams. :) the wife and I have run GBR's, EBR's and the goldens for years with pretty much all of the dwarf bows ...praecox, Lazers, M.macculochi Skull Creeks, Threadfins, and a number of the blue eyed species i.e. furcatus, gertrudae, etc. we have even run some of the larger bows with them ... "young up to 3 inches" . All bows can be a little veracious at feeding time, and it can be a little tricky when it comes to getting some food to the rams. Many of our Rams let the bows know they were getting hungry, typical cichlid :) , and the bows did respect that! Rams should be more than an inch though. We have had the rams breed many times in front of the bows and no issues. However later in the dark of the morning hours the cats/BN Pleco would consume the eggs. A 3 inch plus lacustris would not hurt them but might not be quite so respectful watching them eat in front of them. The rams were the wife's choice of fish and had bred them a number of times over the years. The bows would've been in big trouble with her if they ever messed with her rams!

Ric

Just my opinion but might be a trifle heavy on the bottom dwellers even for a 90G with the clown loaches. I'd leave them out and go for a large school of corys and a few more rams. Not aggression issues but just plain size might be an issue. With the Corys hitting around 3", the rams around the same having I'm assuming at least 3- 16" fish roaming around might be stressful. If it was my tank I'd go with around 15 Corys, 8 GBRs and 6 of the rainbows

I have a friendly female Blue Ram in with some Goyder River bows she was originally put in as a dither fish because the bows were having a hard time adjusting to their new tank.She is now queen of the tank even though she is the smallest fish, she swims up to greet me when ever I approach the tank.At feeding time the bows throw up so much water and scatter so much food she has no problem getting she share.

Thanks for the replies. The plan so far then is a 90 gallon with M. Lacustris, GBR, rummynose, clown loach and green laser corys. Anyone see any issues with that mix?

Sounds fine to me as long as the filtration is pretty good. The loaches (I assume you're buying small ones?) take a long time before they will become too large to bother the others in my opinion, as they are very slow growers. I would try to place a small powerhead along the back or sides that will provide a gentle stream for the loaches/rainbows to play in, while allowing some slower waters for the GBR and rummynose. That might be the only problem I foresee.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...