Park Veterinary Centre Now Accepting Fish Patients

joeysgreen

I have alluded to earlier that we were working on offering a professional option towards helping your sick fish. We have staff that is experienced in treating exotic pets from small mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians. Dr. Bousquet will now see fish patients!

Ian Kanda AHT

[edit] I apologize to the moderators if this post is in the wrong place.

Fish Med Poster.bmp

Edited by joeysgreen

Panacur is a prescription drug and is only available without prescription because of it's history with the aquatic industry predating a lot of the pharmacy laws.. Veterinarians are bound by a strict code of conduct to maintain a high minimum standard of care. One of these is that a vet client patient relationship must be created prior to prescribing medication (VCR or VCPR). In short, the vet needs to examine the animal, assess a need, and meet this need by prescribing said medication. The same thing with human medicine, except we have to add in client and patient because animals don't have Alberta Health Cards :)

Is this a freshwater tank? Is hydra not a water quality issue?

Ian

It is a freshwater, and no not water quality as it has a 30G sponge filter in a 10G tank with weekly WC/Vac of 25-50%,huge clump of java moss and sand bed. The daily feedings of brine shrimp tend to make this tank break out in hydra as whenever I feed just flake or gel food I won't see any until I start feeding brine shrimp again.

Planaria is from poor maintence.

Sorry got the name wrong it was Safeguard dewormer not panacur.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

• 5 months later...

Surgery is done on an as needed basis. That is, if it is decided the benefits of the procedure outweigh the risks or invasiveness. I admittedly had to google what you're talking about; it is unfortunate that the fish community has gone so long without veterinary help and the videos of people cutting their fish at home is a perfect example.

You can call Park to inquire about your fish, or as I see you are in Calgary, you may want to try the Avian and Exotic Clinic there, or another if there is one that will see fish.

Ian

ps, I have moved to the Boren Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at Oklahoma State University, so no longer am a representative of Park Veterinary Centre. Dr. Bousquet is still there and is the DVM that sees fish :)