Oh Yeah, I Hate Duckweed

Jayba

So I picked up a bag of duck weed last night at the ACE meeting. Lemna minor I think. Super tiny stuff. Tossed a bunch in each of my tankswhen i got home. All the lights were out at this late hour.

My thinking was it would reduce the lighting, soft smooth green lighting. Mmm. Romantic .

Awoke this morning to tanks with duck weed throughout the water column. Dang it! Blown throughout the tanks by sponge filters, what a mess.

Spent hours netting the stuff out.I haven't even started my 75 gallon planted tankI need to remember this next time I think duck weed would be cool. Pretty sure I did this a couple years ago too.....I'm a slow learner.

Edited by Jayba

I feel for you Jayba I could never get the stuff to flourish in any tank I tried it in.I picked some up as a hitch hiker on some other plants now the stuff is every where clogging up my filters blocking light to other plants.Even making a mess during tank maintenance it gets on every thing on my hands on the floor on the walls in the toilet in the bath tub, spread across the yard on the dog you name it has duck weed on it after WC day.This stuff is worse than a snail invasion & harder to get rid of.

So I picked up a bag of duck weed last night at the ACE meeting. Lemna minor I think. Super tiny stuff. Tossed a bunch in each of my tankswhen i got home. All the lights were out at this late hour.

My thinking was it would reduce the lighting, soft smooth green lighting. Mmm. Romantic .

Awoke this morning to tanks with duck weed throughout the water column. Dang it! Blown throughout the tanks by sponge filters, what a mess.

Spent hours netting the stuff out.I haven't even started my 75 gallon planted tankI need to remember this next time I think duck weed would be cool. Pretty sure I did this a couple years ago too.....I'm a slow learner.

Thanks for the fishies! I tried my best but couple pieces of dw landed in the tank. Waiting for the explosion tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Thanks for the fishies! I tried my best but couple pieces of dw landed in the tank. Waiting for the explosion tomorrow morning when I wake up.

That's not too far from the truth... under ideal conditions, DW can double its biomass every 4 hours! It's the fastest growing vascular plant on the planet!!

That's not too far from the truth... under ideal conditions, DW can double its biomass every 4 hours! It's the fastest growing vascular plant on the planet!!
Should write that on the bag! Sure it has its place. My tanks are just have too much movement for it to work. What a mess.....lol

duckweed is easy to get rid of all you do is shut down all movement and after it all floats to the top you just take a wet vac and vacuum it all up

Or you could sell it at the ACE auction. I hear that syno321 goes nuts for the stuff...

I'm pretty sure he looked at me sideways when I grabbed the bag. He apparently knew better...

He was just jealous!! He loves the stuff so much he handles it with kid gloves...