Gertrudae "aru Ii"

flyfisher

Trying to build up my small colony 4M 3 older 1 youngster 5F .They are set up in 20g planted and I was wondering why I wasn't able to collect any eggs in the spawning mops or seeing any fry swimming around. So I sat down and spied on them to see what was up,lots of sparing and chasing and then I noticed all the females are choosing to lay their eggs on the sponge pre-filter to the intake for my canister filter :cuss: I have been washing all the eggs of the down the sink every week.So now to out smart the little buggers I'm going to be tossing the pre-filters into the hatching bucket every week and hope I can get my colony growing.

• 1 month later...

Have you made any progress with this? Im really interested in keeping this strain going in Alberta. If you need some tips or pointers, feel free to come down to my fishroom and ask as many questions as you'd like. I am currently artificially raising M. affinis "Pagwi" but the parents have also laid eggs throughout the tank, resulting in fry appearing sporadically everywhere. I also did this with the M. sp. red laser "wapogo".

Let me know on both counts, this fish is really cool!

A big thanks to flyfisher ...giving geleen a couple of girls for an old boy of his.....apparently "dozens" of eggs in the hatching stage at geleens.

Good chance there will be some P. gertrudae Aru ll available by the end of winter!

Cheers

Ric

It appears that there is quite the demand for this little fish. I would suggest letting geleen know your interest as I believe they will go very fast!

Edited by Rainbowric