Söchting Oxydators

SKAshrimps

Söchting OXYDATORs

We are the official Canadian Distributor for Söchting OXYDATORs. These little devices create a steady source of oxygen inside your aquarium and unlike air pumps, they require no electricity and are completely silent. We have been using them for years in all our our shrimp tanks to maintain high oxygen levels and as a backup supply of oxygen in case of emergencies when the power goes out (like it did in the downtown core last week).

What are Söchting OXYDATORs?

Söchting OXYDATORs are devices that generate pure oxygen (O2) through a chemical reaction between OXYDATOR solution (hydrogen peroxide) and the catalyst.

Advantages over traditional air pumps

While both an air pump and the OXYDATORs provide a source of oxygen for your aquarium, the OXYDATORs have several distinct advantages:

• Require no electricity – great for emergencies when power is not available
  • Completely silent and does not cause surface disturbance (i.e. less evaporation)
  • Does not expel carbon dioxide (CO2) – since there is no surface disturbance, it does not affect the co2 levels in the tank
  • Amount of oxygen release increases with temperature – generally the higher the water temperature, the lower the oxygen level is. The OXYDATORs is able to counter this as the amount of oxygen released increases with the temperature. An increase of 8 C doubles the amount of oxygen produced.
  • No parts to service or replace. The only consumable used by OXYDATOR is the hydrogen peroxide solution. A 1L bottle of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide cost around $20 and produces around 6L of 6% solution.

Available Model:

oxydators-group_zpscef26a95.jpg

We currently carry 3 models of OXYDATORs designed for use with aquariums:

OXYDATOR A: for aquariums up to 400L (~ 106 gal) - $84.99

OXYDATOR D: for aquariums up to 100L (~ 27 gal) - $36.99

OXYDATOR Mini: for aquariums up to 30L (~ 8 gal) - $14.99

Replacement Catalyst (for A / D / W models) - $3.99

OXYDATOR A - $84.99

th_OxydatorA_zps7ac8e521.jpg

Capacity: For aquariums up to 400L (~ 106 gal)
Diameter: 9cm
Height: 18 cm
Number of Catalyst(s): 2
Volume: 250ml

Usage:
For aquariums up to 200L: 6% OXYDATOR solution + 1 catalyst
For aquariums up to 400L: 6% OXYDATOR solution + 2 catalyst or 12% OXYDATOR solution + 1 catalyst
For aquariums over 400L*: 12% OXYDATOR solution + 2 catalyst or 19.9% OXYDATOR solution + 1 catalyst

Package contents:
2 catalyst, 250ml solution bottle*, stand, ballast

* Does not come with any OXYDATOR solution - see below on how to make your own solution.

OXYDATOR D - $36.99

th_OxydatorD_zps62db4993.jpg

Capacity: For aquariums up to 100L (~ 27 gal)
Diameter: 8.5cm
Height: 8.5 cm
Number of Catalyst(s): 1
Volume: 125ml

Usage:
For aquariums up to 100L: 6% OXYDATOR solution + 1 catalyst

Package contents:
1 catalyst, 125ml solution bottle*, stand

* Does not come with any OXYDATOR solution - see below on how to make your own solution.

OXYDATOR Mini - $14.99

th_OxydatorMini_zps280f2725.jpg

Capacity: For aquariums up to 30L (~ 8 gal)
Diameter: 4cm
Height: 8.5 cm
Number of Catalyst(s): 1 (less than half the size of the catalyst in OXYDATOR A/D)
Volume: 30ml

Usage:
For aquariums up to 30L: 4.9% OXYDATOR solution + 1 catalyst

Package contents:
1 catalyst, 30ml solution bottle, 2 x 82.5ml 4.9% OXYDATOR solution, stand

OXYDATOR Solution

Only the OXYDATOR Mini comes with the OXYDATOR solution – For OXYDATOR A and OXYDATOR D, you will need to buy the solution separately. Luckily, we can make our own OXYDATOR solution using 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide (available at most health / natural food stores) and distilled / RO water.

The recommended concentration for the OXYDATOR solution is 6%. To get a 6% solution, you just need to dilute 1 part 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide with 6 part distilled / RO water.

For example: 100ml of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide + 600ml distilled water = 700ml of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

For a 12% solution use a 1-to-3 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water.
For a 18% solution use a 1-to-2 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water.

I currently get my Hydrogen Peroxide at Community Natural Foods (3 locations in Calgary). It is around $20 for a 1L bottle, which in turn makes 6L of 6% OXYDATOR solution. They don’t keep it on the shelf so you will have to ask for it.

Make sure you use only Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide - the normal Hydrogen Peroxide you can get at most grocery store will not work as they contain additional stabilizer / compounds.

As always, feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions

ill be interested in that, i will do a bit of research on this topic. i think this would be great in my sulawesi tank...

They should help with the Sulawesi as they like lots of oxygen in the water but if the power goes out you will also have to worry about the temperature dropping. Luckily I didn't any Sulawesi shrimps yet when the power happened last week but I did lose a few rabbit snails because of the lack of heat.