Where Are People Buying T5Ho Bulbs From In Edmonton?

tt101

Hello,

It is time for me to change my 4 T5HO bulbs and most stores want $30 per bulb......$120 for bulbs seems a bit steep to me and I would MUCH rather spend that on fish and plants. Anyone know the best places to buy bulbs, online even?

Thank you

I'm looking for 48" bulbs. I should have done a search prior to asking the question....turns out there are quite a few hydroponics stores here in the city and I found one that wants less than half the price as the pet stores and also better bulbs. Also for me the best part is that it is a private store, not some money hungry chain!!

Don't touch pet stores for bulbs they will make you bend over and take it. Go to garden centers or hydroponic stores. I can get a great 48" T5HO for $15.

AGREED!!

I found a hydroponics store (via other members on the forum with the same question haha) and they have 48' sunblaster brand t5HO bulbs for $13.....the god damn petstores want $30 per bulb!!! I don't think so!!

.......besides, this guy likes to give it and NEVER take it :D

Don't touch pet stores for bulbs they will make you bend over and take it. Go to garden centers or hydroponic stores. I can get a great 48" T5HO for $15.

AGREED!!

I found a hydroponics store (via other members on the forum with the same question haha) and they have 48' sunblaster brand t5HO bulbs for $13.....the god damn petstores want $30 per bulb!!! I don't think so!!

AGREED!!

Pet stores need to add their margin, it's not like they buy these bulbs for $5. Complain all you want about their prices but don't complain if they have close up shop and you don't have a local pet shop anymore.

Haha yeah there is a store just south of yellow head on fort road. Great owners great light deals

Yup! That is the store I am talking about

be careful of the light spectrum. You could cause algae blooms.

I am getting bulbs that are rated at 6700k so I should be ok.

Stick to 6000K range and your fine. Common is 6400k and 6700k.

Will do!

AGREED!!

Pet stores need to add their margin, it's not like they buy these bulbs for $5. Complain all you want about their prices but don't complain if they have close up shop and you don't have a local pet shop anymore.

Ummm.....actually I used to work at a Petstore and yes, they did pay $5 per bub because that is what I paid with employee discount. Mostly anything that you can buy at a hardware store is marked up 500% at a Petstore. I am not one to complain about prices all the time, but $120 for 4 bulbs seems like straight up highway theft to me. If you are fine with paying the first price you see, cool, good for you, I like to shop around first and make certain I am getting my money's worth.

For the record, I try and buy anything I can from local businesses even if it costs a little more, I try as much as possible to support the little guys because I do not see the big chain stores closing up anytime soon.

Ummm.....actually I used to work at a Petstore and yes, they did pay $5 per bub because that is what I paid with employee discount. Mostly anything that you can buy at a hardware store is marked up 500% at a Petstore. I am not one to complain about prices all the time, but $120 for 4 bulbs seems like straight up highway theft to me. If you are fine with paying the first price you see, cool, good for you, I like to shop around first and make certain I am getting my money's worth.

For the record, I try and buy anything I can from local businesses even if it costs a little more, I try as much as possible to support the little guys because I do not see the big chain stores closing up anytime soon.

Ummm....actually they don't pay $5/bulb, I get wholesale lists all the time and I've never seen a pet industry brand bulb that cheap. So If you were getting $30 bulbs for $5 each, that's over 80% off...that is the best employee discount I've ever seen. Didn't Petcetera close up shop?

Ummm....actually they don't pay $5/bulb, I get wholesale lists all the time and I've never seen a pet industry brand bulb that cheap. So If you were getting $30 bulbs for $5 each, that's over 80% off...that is the best employee discount I've ever seen. Didn't Petcetera close up shop?

That is what I paid via employee discount, if you believe it, cool, if not, still cool. Yes petcetera did close up shop, I credit that to the inability to compete, (I recall) generally more expensive things, poor store upkeep, and unfavorable market conditions. I was talking about petsmart when I mentioned never closing down.

Regardless, this thread has been taken off track and I no longer wish to go into this any further. Thank you for sharing your opinion and I have found the answer to the original question so thanks to all who have helped and prior members who asked the question and gave me the idea to go look at that place mentioned above.